Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Hummer H2 does not crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Default Hummer H2 does not crank

This morning my H2 simply does not crank. Battery voltage is fine, everything powers up, but not even a sound when the key is turned from the starter or solenoid. Nevertheless tried jump start: nothing.Tried locking and unlocking the doors manually, tried disconnecting the battery for a while and nothing. Any Ideas?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hummer H2 does not crank

sounds like a starter solenoid.....

does it even click?

Old 03-09-2008, 02:18 PM

No sound at all from the starting sequence. Everything else works though. I also checked fuses and found no faults. A person at Onstar diagnosticcs said to try locking the 2 manually, waiting for twenty minutes "to let the comuter shut down" (have no idea why hat would happen), I tried that and nothing. Guess will have to have it transported to the dealer - I am actually negotiating an 08 trading my 04 right now and the timing is really not good.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:51 PM

In case this happens to somebody else, I just went to the 2, opened the door with the key, turned the ignition key and the Hummer started right-up. Must be some type of theft prevention sequence that gets out of synch...

Old 03-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Glad the fix was free. Now go trade it in for the 2008 H2 asap.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting....

thanks for the feedback...

Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 AM

I'm having the same problem once ever 3 weeks or so now...

My thoughts are if its the GM antitheft kicking in, security should be flashing on the dash, which i never have seen. But i've never really looked to see if there is an actual security light, all my other GM vehicles do. And if it did kick in, should be active for 10-15 minutes.

Starter Selonoid or the actual ignition switch which my GM buddy says is a known problem on the GM trucks and most likely the hummer also.

Any of these 3 issues is a pain in the *** to diagnose, most likely it will never do it at the dealer or when one of your buddys that knows what hes doing is around.

To make it even worse in my case, I have some damn aftermarket proximity sensor starter interupt keyfob. No clue what brand/model, its black, about 1" circle w/ a pic of a finger print on it.

I need to rip that POS out and see if I continue to have problems.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Yesterday my wife was just driving down the highway when our 2003 H2 lost power. She pulled to the side and thinking she ran out of gas called her girlfriend to come bring some. No help. I went up with 5 gallons too cuz she said fuel guage was not even moving. No help. Will not crank, battery is OK, jump is no help.
When ign is on the DIC shows -- for most of the fuel related entries and the oil life.
The Passlock icon is lit up on the dashboard now. How does one reset this?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Default H2 cut off while driving and will not crank

My son has a 2003 H2 and while he was driving it shut down. He heard a click, sounded electrical, and it shut off. Now it will not turn over. Battery is good and fuses have been checked. It has a full tank of gas but the gauge shows empty when the ignition is in ON and the fuel warning light is lit. All the fuel and oil related info on the DIC shows 3 dashes (---). The small indicating bar below the shift indicator is now out and if the key is left in the ON position for about 30 seconds the security light comes on and stays on. When the ignition is taken to Start the lights on the dash go out but the engine does not turn over. My first thought was something to do with the security system but I have tried everything I can think of and that has been posted to reset this. Is there any info out there about these symptoms and what they may indicate?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Default GM Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) Relearn Procedures

http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%20...oom=auto,0,800

Quick Reply: Hummer H2 does not crank