PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUMMER H2 37" Tire Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Default HUMMER H2 37" Tire Pros and Cons

Hello everyone,

I currently have 35" toyo m/t tires with 20" rockstars (-24 offset I believe) on my H2 35/12.5LT20. This summer I was thinking of going with a leveling kit and adding Toyo M/T 37/12.5/LT20s. Im wondering what the pros and cons are going from 35's to 37's? Pictures?

Old picture of my HUMMER H2 but thats it with the 35's

Attached Thumbnails HUMMER H2 37" Tire Pros and Cons-20130518_151913.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 PM

The worst thing I can think of is that it will alter your gear ratio. Probably make your trans. Hunt for gears. Which is wearing your trans more than it would with the 35's. I don't know how big of a difference that is. Someone who has 37's can chime in.

Throw your speedo out
Poorer fuel mileage- more weight , more stopping distance

Don't know why I started with the cons. Guess there right... I'm negative...

On the pro side

Your going to gain 2" of diff, and skid clearance.

You'll be able to air down for wheeling.

It's going to look bad ***- Winner!!! Go get em.

Last edited by madmayo; 01-28-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:33 PM

No disrespect but isn't it really just a 1" gain?
I get 2" total, but 2" divided by the top and bottom of the tire, if that makes sense.
Granted my trucks not running, but I put 37"s on and love the look.
Hopefully will know what itll do in a few weeks. But my truck is far from stock.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 PM

Honestly if you're thinking about 37's then just go for it. This truck is the first time I have ever bought aftermarket wheels for a vehicle. I have always made sure to buy the upper trim in my vehicles and were happy with the stock wheels.

However, I wanted more backspace to push them out to be in line with my fender flares. I constantly look at the tires wishing I would have gone with 37's. Now I'm waiting for them to wear out so I can buy 37's lol.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Signal25
No disrespect but isn't it really just a 1" gain?
I get 2" total, but 2" divided by the top and bottom of the tire, if that makes sense.
Granted my trucks not running, but I put 37"s on and love the look.
Hopefully will know what itll do in a few weeks. But my truck is far from stock.
Yup, I'm wrong. Math was never my strong suit. Lol

Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 AM

I was going to put on 37', but the tire dealer said they would rub on tight turns,even though its been leveled out, supposedly if you have air bags,this is not the problem,(i have air bags in the springs,but not the same)i could put on spacers,but then when i haul my 24 foot cc boat,id hate to see one of my rear wheels pass me up,going down the highway......

2004H2
2006H3

Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 PM

I have the 37" M/T R Kevlar's on 16.5" 24 bolt wheels (for the uparmor hummers) and can speak to a few things.

• Transmission: It doesn't hunt for gears changing from my 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers, but extra weight will put slightly more strain on the drive train etc. (in my case much more weight, but for aftermarket wheels with non-runflat tires it won't be much more per corner)
  • Ride Quality: slightly improved, however this may be due to slightly less stiff sidewalls with my tires.
  • Rubbing: The only rub I get is if I hit a steep approach angle (30 degrees or so) too quickly while turning. Case in point is a gas station around where I live with a super steep entrance (dip then incline) which you have to take a right hand turn into, first time I took it too quickly. Other than that, no rub. **disclaimer - I added bolt on with pressed lug spacers to mount the H1 wheels, so it gave me .5" more offset (pushed out) than my other 35" wheel setup. No rubbing on sway bars or body.
  • Leveling Kit: I didn't put one on as I love the raked look of the truck, and after 5 months, didn't need it in order to fit and live with 37"s.
Good luck - its a bad *** look with this height of tire. Gratuitous photos to follow:

Attached Thumbnails HUMMER H2 37" Tire Pros and Cons-2014-08-26-15.13.36.jpg   HUMMER H2 37" Tire Pros and Cons-2014-08-26-15.48.26.jpg   HUMMER H2 37" Tire Pros and Cons-2014-08-26-15.50.17.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Reaper550
I have the 37" M/T R Kevlar's on 16.5" 24 bolt wheels (for the uparmor hummers) and can speak to a few things.

• Transmission: It doesn't hunt for gears changing from my 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers, but extra weight will put slightly more strain on the drive train etc. (in my case much more weight, but for aftermarket wheels with non-runflat tires it won't be much more per corner)
  • Ride Quality: slightly improved, however this may be due to slightly less stiff sidewalls with my tires.
  • Rubbing: The only rub I get is if I hit a steep approach angle (30 degrees or so) too quickly while turning. Case in point is a gas station around where I live with a super steep entrance (dip then incline) which you have to take a right hand turn into, first time I took it too quickly. Other than that, no rub. **disclaimer - I added bolt on with pressed lug spacers to mount the H1 wheels, so it gave me .5" more offset (pushed out) than my other 35" wheel setup. No rubbing on sway bars or body.
  • Leveling Kit: I didn't put one on as I love the raked look of the truck, and after 5 months, didn't need it in order to fit and live with 37"s.
Good luck - its a bad *** look with this height of tire. Gratuitous photos to follow:
Ill be in my bunk!! Dang that thing is sexy.
I cant wait to get my truck going.
Same tire setup I am running.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 PM

Ive only seen Google images of the HUMMER with 37's; maybe someone can post a video or link of an H2 with 37's? I thought I was going to get 2inches from the tires plus the additional 1.5 inches from the level. Guess not lol. I have a ton of tread left on my 35's. My buddy in the photo I posted said he would buy my rim and tires if I wanted to go with 37's. Not to worried about gas mileage, it sucked before, now and will always. I guess my major concern would be wear and having to alter gearing. Dont want to screw my hummie up. Just spent serious coin fixing it up between transfer case motor, replacing broken dipstick tube from header install. Water pump gaskets still to come.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Reaper550

Wow love the look of your rig. Where did you find the H1 wheels? I might like those better than my rockstars. Do you have anymore photos? I found another photo of my rig from the summer

Attached Thumbnails HUMMER H2 37" Tire Pros and Cons-20140921_144849.jpg  

Quick Reply: HUMMER H2 37" Tire Pros and Cons