PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

hub bearing recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Default hub bearing recommendation

so the infamous hub bearing failure has finally arrived on my rig. I was told that my front passenger side hub bearing is going and needs to be replaced. The dealer tried quoting me $750 plus labor. Yeah, good joke. Anyway, I found a guy to install it for cheap, now I just have to order one offline or in a store.

I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. I found a couple on eBay pretty cheap but no brand name, but then also a Timken on eBay. I am not sure if I should go cheap since I will probably be replacing them again anyway, or spend a little more for the Timken brand, or just spend a little more and get one sold through my local Advance Auto.

Here are the links to the ones I found, any opinions are greatly appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...#ht_1719wt_937

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Whe...ht_1311wt_1163

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Timke...#ht_1750wt_937

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...m=hub+assembly

Last edited by Piskin; 08-21-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: non working links
Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

I bought the Timken ones from Dmaxstore.com They come with a lifetime warranty and new ABS sensors.

They are $179 and they are easy to install...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

BTW... none of your links worked.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:21 PM

Sorry about the links, I just fixed them and should be working.

I just checked out the lifetime warranty of the Timken you told me to check out. Now if my understanding is correct, it seems to be that you have to send back the defective piece, and THEN they will ship you out a replacement. So our truck will be sitting in a garage jacked up for a week unuseable? Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I got out of the description at the bottom of the page.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 AM

+1 on the Timkens however I paid a bit more for mine from a local (Ft Huachuca at the time) source.

Was simple to install

Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM

I can't find a cheaper price than the DMaxstore.com. If you fo to your local parts store they sell the cheap National brand ones for about $175.00 or the Moog for about $275.00.
I would go with the Timkin from DMaxstore.com for the warranty if you can wait to get them shipped in. If you can pull an 8 lug wheel off of your truck, you should be able to change a hub assembly yourself and save the money. I've changed out 3 in the last two months, two of them in a hotel parking lot.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM

The ones that are for sale on Dmaxstore.com, do you know if they come in a pair of 2 or if the $180 price is for one side?

I am just a little skeptical on the whole return policy meaning that I wouldn't have my truck for almost a week. Since this is my only vehicle, I can see that I would be in trouble.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

That is for one.... anything less than the Timken hubs are a waste of money in the long run... $80 might get you down the road for now... but will leave you paying more eventually.... Vehicle maintenance is a pay me now or pay me later world... and pay me later ALWAYS costs more.

but how is this for warranty... I have spares... I will gladly give you one of my spares should anything go wrong.... Hell.. if you want to drive to central PA I'll even change them for you and we can get a good look at your entire front end so you can plan for the rest of the stuff that wears out on a H2 over time.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

I might add that I do own 2 H2's that are well maintained... I wouldn't screw you over or talk you into anything you really don't need. I don't have a penny invested in any parts or companies I reccommend.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 AM

i just replaced mine yesterday, $121 from napa (shop cost) usually is $180ish,
i searched egay today just for the hell of it and it was $70 shipped lol
my buddy who's a mechanic only charged me $30 to install.

Quick Reply: hub bearing recommendation