Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

How to installing Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Default How to installing Neutral Safety Switch

Should the tranny be in neutral when removing and installing?

I put a new one on and can't seem to get it adjusted properly. There seem to be a little play causing it to be out of sync. Tried adjusting but just won't sync. I do have the switch positioned in the neutral position as it was out of the box. Think I may have messed up the new one b/c I first tried to install it in park, like I took to old one off. Maybe at $40 mistake.

Also when I installed I lost the Shift lock solenoid function. Foot on brake and the solenoid is not activating/releasing. Check fuse and it's good. Been chasing a gremlin. First, shifter was stuck in park and it was broken wires at the shifter. Then Shift Lock Soleniod wasn't completely releasing. Put in a new solenoid. Issue continued. Then a new Brake lamp switch. Still issue. And all along sometimes the key was not removing if the vehicle rolls forward in park. So was replacing the Neutral safety switch. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:07 AM

Have you checked your shift cable? My transmission shift lever rusted off my trans

Old 04-29-2016, 06:56 AM

Wow. That's a lot of rust. No. No problem with cable.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:36 AM

Conclusion... With car in nuetral and battery disconnected remove old and install new one. Be extra careful installing the new. It's cheap plastic sh** and if you don't get in on just right the first time you'll have some play and you won't be able to adj it to work properly. Dash display will be out a sync with gear selector. Lesson learned only cost me an extra $40 but probably saved $500 with labor.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Default Neutral safety switch

I have a 06 H3...and I need to replace this...can someone tell me where this is located..or show me..so I can do this myself and save some $...please and thank you very much..

Old 11-26-2023, 01:20 PM

Well, I feel like an absolute idiot, but I got it fixed. There was a break in the black wire for pin “A” per the diagram shown further up the thread. The wire jacket looked fine. But given that it was such a thin gauge wire, it must have broken all of the strands and stretched so they wouldn’t touch.

So all in all, it was the typical issue that everybody else has been experiencing just very well hidden.

Thanks to everybody for your patience and help throughout this!

Old 11-27-2023, 05:22 PM

Ah Robertb6963 almost missed this follow-up post.

.. we've all been there, main thing is you've got it sorted, good job ✔️