PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are H2's in the snow? How about with nitto mud tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Default How are H2's in the snow? How about with nitto mud tires?

How are H2's in the snow? How about with nitto mud grappler tires? I'm thinking about buying a set of rock star wheels with nitto mud grappler tires ( love the look of the tires) but do not want to hurt my snow capabilities. What is the largest tire & rim size I could go with stock suspension...how much taller will my truck be ( nervous if it will still fit in my garage) sorry for all the questions & thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

H2's are great in the snow.... can't speak of how the Nitto's are... I only use Super Swampers...

but here is an inspriational video from last year that clearly shows what an H2 could/can do....

Video: Hummers still good for some things, like towing giant snowplows — Autoblog

Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 PM

I've run Terra Grapplers, and Mud Grapplers, and honestly I could not tell alot of difference in the snow.
I saw a noticable difference when I hit icy patches, the Terra Grapplers were alot better on ice.

Mud Grapplers are pretty darn decent off road, but I've found out the hard way the sidewalls are not very durable. And at $350ish a tire it gets spendy. So offroad I run a 37" Goodyear MT mil spec on a 16.5x10 steel wheel which also do real well in snow. (if your interested you can get a set of tires and wheels for $1k from wartires.com just tell them Maj. Phillips sent you)

I'm still a but scared of Rockstar wheels, they look great but I am hard on shoes shall we say...and I go wheelin every chance I get

Last edited by Gleamor; 06-21-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

The XD wheel is a durable brand though....

I run Revolvers... I think they look great.

I had them with my Boggers, and I have them with my IROKs.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gleamor
I've run Terra Grapplers, and Mud Grapplers, and honestly I could not tell alot of difference in the snow.
I saw a noticable difference when I hit icy patches, the Terra Grapplers were alot better on ice.

Mud Grapplers are pretty darn decent off road, but I've found out the hard way the sidewalls are not very durable. And at $350ish a tire it gets spendy. So offroad I run a 37" Goodyear MT mil spec on a 16.5x10 steel wheel which also do real well in snow. (if your interested you can get a set of tires and wheels for $1k from wartires.com just tell them Maj. Phillips sent you)

I'm still a but scared of Rockstar wheels, they look great but I am hard on shoes shall we say...and I go wheelin every chance I get

Damn! That's not bad at all! How are these different than regular M/T's? Do they ride any worse? I see they are 37" tires, but how wide are they? Any modifications needed to bolt them to a stock H2?
I assume at that price, these are just stadard wheels/tires, not the wheels with the built in piece that allows them to run with a flat. I used to use those on a military sat-com trailer I produced and they were expesive and heavy as hell.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Sounds like you were referring to TROJAN trucks.

No Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) on mine, I dont fiddle with that.

The MT's are a noisier ride, and work just as well in the snow, not so much on ice. Alot like the Mud Grappler on ice. The Terra Grapplers work well in icy conditions because they have integrated some siping into the tread design.

I cant speak to modification requirements as I had already replaced most of the suspension from pitman arm to rear axle before I put them on. I still get a tiny bit of rub when I block it hard left or right but nothing that bothers me. Just makes a nifty shiny spot on the metal free chrome~

Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 PM

The ones we used on the trailers didn't have central inflation, but the wheels had a huge hard plastic (I think was material) all the way around the inside that came up pretty high inside the tire. If your tire went flat, it just rode on that piece and you kept right on going. Like I said though, expensive and HEAVY as hell. I would NOT want to ever drive around on-road with them!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Your referring to the run flat doughnut. Yeah not something I would consider running on a civ vehicle unless I was concerned about getting my tires shot out

Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 AM

I've done plenty of speeding around in the snow with my H2 and it never fails to get traction. It almost feels as safe as a four-wheel drive car.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by MultipleHummerGuy
I've done plenty of speeding around in the snow with my H2 and it never fails to get traction. It almost feels as safe as a four-wheel drive car.
Are you just trolling or being serious. You compared an H2 with a four wheel drive car, and used the word safe in the same sentence?!? Your gonna get your Hummer owner member card taken away talking like that.

There is no four wheel drive car on earth that comes close to being as safe as the Hummer.

Quick Reply: How are H2's in the snow? How about with nitto mud tires?