PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get stuck H2 door open without handles (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Default how to get stuck H2 door open without handles (pics)

so in my other thread I was asking for advice on how to get my stuck passenger door open when the handles would not open it, it would unlock and lock properly though.

I finally decided that the rails were probably off the mechanism and I was right.

I removed the interior handle and then removed the arm rest that snaps off, in my pictures you see it's missing, that's because I removed it.

After that was removed I started cutting with tin snips to gain access to the area in the door frame which is the point of access to the door mechanism. I actually didnt have to cut as much as I thought I would have, you just need to cut enough so you can get your hand into the door frame and manually pull the release mechanism until the door opens, after the door opened I just removed the door panel as normal and then i could access all of the rods that open the door.

Somehow, BOTH rods had come out of the mechanism, one rod that goes up to the outside door handle and one rod that goes across to the interior door handle. Feed these poles back into the holes of the latch and test it out.

Even though I had to cut part of the door panel you may actually not even notice it once I push it back snug into the dark handle peice and then put the top arm rest back on, not bad IMO and at least it was free...

Attached Thumbnails how to get stuck H2 door open without handles (pics)-photo.jpg   how to get stuck H2 door open without handles (pics)-photo-1-.jpg   how to get stuck H2 door open without handles (pics)-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM

Yikes! I hope I never have to do that.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 PM

I read your other post and it is too late now but did you try the slim jim method, i think if you would have rolled the window down and put a door stop wedge in the center of the window opening on top of the door sill to spread it a little you could of got a flashlight and enough room for a slim jim or something else similar to unlatch it.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Also seems weird that they both came off for no reason and you did not mention a fix. Being on the fire dept and unlocking cars allot we always go for the pass door as they are not protected as much as the drivers. So maybe someone tried to get in your ride. Just a thought

Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Well that's annoying but at least you got it fixed! Any pics and info on the door panel removal?

Everyone always asks how to get these things off but no one every has solid info on the tabs or the physical removal. We know about removing the inner handle door and the 2 bolts behind that but the tabs are the issue.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
Well that's annoying but at least you got it fixed! Any pics and info on the door panel removal?

Everyone always asks how to get these things off but no one every has solid info on the tabs or the physical removal. We know about removing the inner handle door and the 2 bolts behind that but the tabs are the issue.
Once you have the 2 bolts on the handle removed all that remains it to pry the panel away from the door frame. I just start by pulling the top away from the frame until it pulls out, from there you can use any kind of tool to keep prying the panel away from the door as you work down the sides and bottom. I don't see any special method to this I just start pulling or using a panel remover, screw driver would work too, to pull it away from the frame. Of the numerous times I've taken my panels off I've never seen any broken tabs. This is really easy IMO. Once the panel is away from the door you can remove the cables and door light.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 AM

ok thanks. I've tried pulling before but it feels like something is going to break before coming free.

I need to get my billet door buckets installed after having them for over a year.....just don't want to risk taking these panels off lol.