PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Default Help low oil pressure

Help, I'm 3 hrs from home trout fishing and all of sudden getting low oil pressure warning on start up.

Was just in shop for tune up and manifolds. Dipstick tube was replaced and had to be coaxed out. Oil was changed and I usually run Castries gtx non synthetic. My mechanic put synthetic in and I'm worried he assumed that I run synthetic and didn't change the filter and now they have mixed.
Or it is filings in the pump.
Or he disturbed the oil sensor.

After it runs for 5 secs or so the gauge goes to 45 and the alarm stops.
Should I drive it home or tow?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM

do you have a oil gauge that you can see while driving if so what oil pre reading are you getting at 2000 rpm should be about 18 to 20 psi or above, if so drive it and watch your gauge. normal is 10 psi per 1000 rpm, is what needed.and mixing the oil should not cause a problem.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:03 PM

From idle the gauge is sitting at zero. Once I start driving the gauge will come off band sit between 45-50 depending on rpm

Old 10-21-2014, 03:20 PM

WAIT >>>> The mechanic change the oil but didnt changed the filter ... REALLLY . In many years I never hear someone not changing the oil filter
The most expensive filter cost less $20 ..Risking to damage the engine due to a dirt filter for $20 ? Not worth it

By now you should have already tow or drive to home ... I would tow it , no way driving 3 hours with low oil pressure ... Again why risk damage the engine for $100-$300 costing a towing

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-21-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:01 PM

Well I rolled the dice and made it home. Figured that chances are it's the oil pressure sensor. It would build pressure as long as I was driving and no engine noise. If the engine was starved of oil I don't think it would take long before you would hear the carnage.

Just just dropped off at the shop will let you guys know what it was.
All in all, a way better day than being at work.��

Attached Thumbnails Help low oil pressure-image.jpg  

Last edited by madmayo; 10-21-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Trying to post pics.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM

I was going to say you should be fine since the pressure is at normal when driving. I wonder if the oil filter wasn't changed and the bypass kicked in from it being dirty, low oil pressure at idle but fine once the RPM's get up when driving.

Let us know what the culprit is!

Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 PM

NIce catch .. great everything worked fine .

Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM

So the deuce is supposedly ready. I am not too confident that the issue is resolved but we'll see.

The culprit appears to be the oil pump relief valve sticking open and not being able to build pressure at idle. Once Rpm's climb enough pressure builds to close the relief. The sensor checked out as well as the gauge reading accurately. Oil was drained and clean with no shiny metal filings or debris.

Motor was then flushed and tested. At first the gauge would only show pressure after 4-5 seconds and after another flush the gauge came to right away.
He is also going to give it the sea foam treatment and fingers crossed.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:15 PM

I use seafom on the gas at least once a year , never in oil or intake , let me know how it worked for you .. Thank you

Old 10-23-2014, 05:46 PM

I started doing some reading on it and called my mechanic and told him not to put it in the motor. Not because it's a bad thing. Just because I don't know enough about it.

The one article I read said to change the spark plugs and change the oil. I just did the plugs 500 km ago. And changed the oil. Now I've paid for3 synthetic oil changes in 500km.

The truck seems to be running great and the pressure is coming up as soon as the motor fires. He did ad the seafom to the gas and the truck does seem more responsive.

Quick Reply: Help low oil pressure