PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with blacking out my H2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:10 AM
Default help with blacking out my H2?

I have a black 2004 H2 an want to black it out i hate the chrome that is all over it right now. i need tips, ideas, instructions, etc... with blacking out my grille, all the lights, mirror caps, license plate cover, rims...etc pretty much i want everything BLACK and id like to know what to use or where to take it an how to do it. I have 22's on it now with nitto terra grapplers but i want to powder coat the rims just not sure how to get that done?? any help would be awesome thanks!

Old 05-27-2012, 03:53 PM

exactly what you just said, you can powdercoat everything black if you want it permanent, something you can reverse would be Plasti-Dip. You can use that if later one you want to peel it off to get the chrome back. I used it on my chrome fuel door and is still holding up without issue.

As far as the lenses you just need to tint them. There are many spray tints you can use for those.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:00 PM

blacking out my h2 has been an ongoing project for me for the last 4 years. granted my H2 is black....

i just recently got the grill Line X. i was qouted $150 for the basic LineX, and an extra $50 for the UV protection.

i went with the UV protection after an on the spot view of a truck in the lot with nice fenders that were lineX..i was worried the standard LineX was going to be dull-ish that you see most bedliner get after awhile, while the UV protection kept a nice shiny appearance that kinda went more with the paint job. There was no way i was going to match it using a spray can bedliner.

today, i did use a spray can bedliner on the hood grab handles, and then used some "back to black" cleaner from Mothers to add a nice shine. i previously used the B2B on all the exterior plastic, and has held up nicely for the last 1.5 years i had it on.

I still have to black out the hood latchs, Mirror backs, and door handles, as well as the rear hatch trim above the handle.

I have some smoked cab lights on the way, and should be delivered on Tuesday.

so far, everythign has been very simple to access and remove.

i used 180 grit sand paper on everythign chromed to rough up, and use the bedliner on.

for my grill, i originally was going to use the can for it, but i when i was cleaning it off with my power washer, i hit a weak spot or a bubble in the chrome, and the water pressure caused a huge piece of chrome to bubble up and pop. from there, i used the pwoer washer to remove 100% of all the chrome from the front, and about 70% off the back and dropped it off at the LineX as is.

honestly, if you are going to use a spray can liner on the grill, hand wash it down, and use a gray scotch pad to rough it up. ( or 180 grit paper)
another trick i found out.. for large areas, a BBQ pad with a handle works very well. it was a gray scotch brand as well.

wipe it down with a damp cloth, let dry and bedline. this method will work with any chrome piece you are doing.

forgot to add that i need to do my luggage rack as well.. and assuming that menards or Lowes is open tomorrow, i will knock those out tomorrow.

in the near future, i plan on using the bedliner in a can for the door sills.

i dont frequent this forum as much, but a different Hummer forum daily...Eclova one.. user name is Hellz.. hit me up over there any time for questions, as well as pics over there

If you want to black out the Rims.. i would recommend just buying some aftermarket rims that will look much better than the stock ones. im not sure the cost on powder coating, but i imagine that new rims will be cheaper or break even. plus, you have to remove your currrent tires take the rims in, and be without your H2 while they are getting worked on. new rims, you just transfer the rubber to the new rims and drive away, with a set of rims that you can put winter tires on, or using them as off raoding rims...

for your headlights..... i would check your local laws before you do anything to them.
for rear lights.. you can get a spray, or a film for them.. or you can buy aftermarket that are smoked (check ebay, but $$$)

Last edited by hellzarmy; 05-27-2012 at 11:08 PM.