PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater/Blower fan help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Default Heater/Blower fan help

My heater fan went out the other day. It was acting sporadic and now it won't come on.

I've done some reading that lead me to check the relay/fuse- good to go. So I'm now under the dash and I can't seem to find the resistor module that I've seen during searches.

This is what I've pulled off the fan body. Heater/Blower fan help-img_5731.jpg

I'm guessing this is the resistor module? The black and red wires go right into the back of this thing- no connector.

There are no burnt wires or other connectors.

One thing to note is while wiggling the red wire on the module end I did get the blower to blow just a little. Barely- and the fan was on high.

I can hear all the controls when changing from auto to manual or making changes in manual mode.

Any advice is appreciated.

***EDIT***

I finally found a picture of this thing to confirm it is the resistor module. Is there a way to test this thing? It's 138.00 on GM parts direct--I'd rather not order "hoping" that this is the problem since you cannot return items to gmpartsdirect.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM

I would try and run 12 volts and a ground direct to the blower motor to see if it spins. If it does buy a resistor if not order a blower motor and hope the blower motor didn't take out the resistor when it went bad.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I would try and run 12 volts and a ground direct to the blower motor to see if it spins. If it does buy a resistor if not order a blower motor and hope the blower motor didn't take out the resistor when it went bad.
Thanks .. fan is strong. It's definitely the module. Ordered the part from auto parts direct for 104.00 w/ free shipping. Dealer wants 270