Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Headlights, Halo's and DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by iwillnc
So is the part you have to cut to put the lights into the slot replaceable or is it an actual part of the hood?
Being able to go back to the original lights as originally designed put into the truck is important to me. I assume the plastic you have to cut is there for stability of the original lights.

Also (but least important) why didn't you tie the DRLs into the existing DRL wiring so that it turns off when parked in the day time?
I used longer screws and did not cut the housing...I wanted the drl to be on all the time so I wired them to park/halo lights...I've read you can install a diode in fuse box to accomplish this 2...

Old 01-23-2017, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm745
I'm thinking about throwing in 7" LED headlights and 4" DRL LED lights. The headlights come with a factory H4/9003 plug did you guys use some sort of adapter or just cut the wires ?

7"

4"
There is a adapter plug u need...look at this thread there is a pic off it

Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 AM

I just did mine. The part you have to cut is the "bucket" and it does not hurt anything and you can still put the original headlights back in and they will hold and work perfectly fine. This is not part of the hood - you have to remove the grille (and brush guard if you have one) to first remove the headlight bucket assembly. Three 10mm bolts hold it to the hood from the inside. If anything they will just run a little cooler since the back of them will be slightly more exposed.

I did also have to slightly deepen the two upper alignment notches in the buckets as well so the new LED headlights would sit down flush in the front ring of the bucket. Again - nothing that would prevent the original headlights from being reinstalled. The pic shows where I cut the bucket on mine. Used a dremel with a cut off wheel and it took all of 2 minutes for each one. There are also a couple of torx screws that hold the bucket to the front surround part. Another thing I noticed while I was in there is that there are actually 3 adjusters for each headlight but the factory only exposes the one on the front. I have not yet had a chance to adjust mine but I can tell they will need to be. I'm thinking I'm going to drill two more holes in the front surround part to expose the two additional adjusters which would give more precise control over the aiming with being able to adjust from three corners instead of one. In the second shot you can see on my actual light from the backside installed where I cut the bucket.

By the way - I did a TON of research on 7" led headlights and these specific ones are the best bang for your buck. They have a cutoff like you see with HID's. There was a very long thread on a Jeep site where a lot of people went back and forth on them and a LOT of research was done. They do cost more than the cheapest Chinese junk ones but a lot less then the big name brand ones. They are made by a company called Tuff Plus and its a very specific design. This is a seller that has them on eBay - X7" Cree LED Headlight High Low Beam Chrome Motorcycle Headlamp Jeep Harley DOT | eBay

If you want to read a lot about them google
wranglerforum best no name
and read that long thread and decide for yourself.

Also - this specific model LED headlight has 3 functions. DRL (which is a second set of wires coming off), low beam, high beam. On DRL they are on but pretty dim - I did not bother with this as DRL's are not required here. On high beam - both low and high are on at the same time so no relays or anything needed for crazy bright lights.

Originally Posted by iwillnc
So is the part you have to cut to put the lights into the slot replaceable or is it an actual part of the hood?
Being able to go back to the original lights as originally designed put into the truck is important to me. I assume the plastic you have to cut is there for stability of the original lights.

Also (but least important) why didn't you tie the DRLs into the existing DRL wiring so that it turns off when parked in the day time?

Attached Thumbnails Headlights, Halo's and DRL's-s-l1600-1-.jpg   Headlights, Halo's and DRL's-img_0773.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Malcolm745, those look great. Do you have a link for the 4" DRL's?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:18 PM

Nice, I have the same ones in mine, I still haven't wired the halo into the drl circuit though because I forgot where I spliced into it when I replace them with fog lamps on a seperate circuit.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:04 PM

Which wires do I need to tap in to for the blinking Haloes on my 08? My 04 shop manual is different from the 08s. I'm thinking it's the blue/white ones.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:19 PM
MH3

Just got the new lights installed....MUCH BRIGHTER!! Halos work as advertised when you activate turn signals. My H2 came with aftermarket lights. I think someone may have installed them incorrectly as I didn't have the "flash-to-pass" working. With new lights I still don't have this capability. I can switch over to bright lights/high beams by pushing turn signal stalk forward, just no quick switch to high beam by pulling it. Any ideas where to start to fix that??

Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Which wires do I need to tap in to for the blinking Haloes?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:31 AM

I bought the exact same set last week, it's this weekends project. D you feel that they are a lot brighter ?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Default to clarify, as you did say they were bright

Originally Posted by pinnacom
I bought the exact same set last week, it's this weekends project. D you feel that they are a lot brighter ?
I mean does the brightness match to the expectations displayed on the box.

Quick Reply: Headlights, Halo's and DRL's