PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights-aftermarket options

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 AM

I have the Trucklite and they work great. The thing I like about them is the quality construction. They are battle tested by the US forces in Iraq. Made in USA is another big plus for me.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:36 AM

I'm bumping this thread b/c I found a few interesting things about several headlights on the market & wanted some input.

80W LED Headlight Kit 7"Round Halo Ring Angel Eye Projector Headlamp Assembly #B

According to the auction:
This page is for one set of 7" Round Speaker Shaped LED Headlight Assembly powered by an amazing 40W CREE LED that give you both the low beam and high beam functions plus the all-around amber/white dual-color switchback LED halo rings function as daytime running lights and turn signal lights.
Bulb Color: 6500k
Low Bean output: 2200 Lumen
High Beam output: 3600 Lumen

7INCH 60W H4 H/L 7'' LED Headlight with Blue DRL Halo For JEEP Wrangler
Name:  t3XUxBQ.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  65.8 KB

Bulb Color: 6000k-6500k
Low Bean output: 2000 Lumen
High Beam output: 3000 Lumen

75W Phillips 7 INCH 7'' LED Headlight For JEEP Hummer

Bulb Color: 6000k-6500k
Low Bean output: 1750 Lumen (841 Lumen theoretical)
High Beam output: 3550 Lumen (1834 Lumen theoretical)

I'm biased towards halos. I love em. The other reason I'm looking at those is the theoretical lumen output is about half of the claimed (looks like that). The Philips seem to be the lowest & I just want more light. The stock headlights at night suck. The trucklite looks awesome, but lack halos, so I'm not going to bother. Also, both headlights that have halos have the connector build in. Looks like much less wiring work.

Thoughts?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 PM

I am not a fan of halos. I think they should only be on BMW's and that's it. I have Trucklite heads in mine-24 volt military lights. I am using step up converters. They get the appropriate voltage but the output really isn't that great. Hence the reason for this thread. I feel those switchback halos would definitely not be street legal.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 PM

There is a dodge charger in my town that has green halos on his driving lights and headlights and it looks pretty cool. Apparently the cops dont care. Not sure about the switchbacks. I like them but it may draw unwanted attention by the cops. They would definitely be an eyecatcher! I would do yellow on my trucks drls and headlights for sure! Some reviews werent to promising but that may be something i will keep my eyes on for a future rainy day project.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:04 AM

I was looking up laws here (Louisiana) concerning headlights & found a law change back in 2001.

You cannot change the original design, in terms of brightness. The law seems to be aimed towards those with aftermarket HIDs that burn your retinas. It's a little vague, but they want to prohibit those installing HIDs that are blue or "white" that have extreme intensity.

From what I've seen across all 3 threads, the philips don't throw a ton of intense light as they seem to cast light over a larger area with slightly more intensity. Does this sound like an accurate description?

As for halos, people will notice me & that's good. I've been in car wrecks (always been the person who's been hit; never hit anyone), so if they notice me & gtfo of my way, all the better. A lot of people here run halos. I'll usually see at least one person, daily, cruising around with them. The cops don't seem to mind.

As for the lights that change color when you turn, I have no clue. You bring up a good point though. I wonder how much light they throw at night when lane changing on the highway. That right there might be a good reason not to look into those. I'm still tempted to look at the other version w/ halos though.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Default lights

I have the Starr thousand dollar lights on my H2. They are worth the money if you have it. They will light up a football field. There are no lights that compare.
I thought price was high but I can tell you the lighting is phenomenal and the quality is excellent.

If you are in it for the long haul, it is simply the way to go. No they are not cheaP but a comparison between those and other available lights leaves but one available choice.

Just my 2 cents.
And I have actually used them.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:52 PM

Dr.drew2- Are they the xenon hids?

Old 10-03-2015, 06:47 AM
Default lights

Originally Posted by Crawdaddyjc
Dr.drew2- Are they the xenon hids?
Bi Xenon
Uses Phillips D1s bulbs

Old 10-07-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
I was looking up laws here (Louisiana) concerning headlights & found a law change back in 2001.

You cannot change the original design, in terms of brightness. The law seems to be aimed towards those with aftermarket HIDs that burn your retinas. It's a little vague, but they want to prohibit those installing HIDs that are blue or "white" that have extreme intensity.
Many states have similar laws to do exactly that, prevent aftermarket HID's from being installed. Reflector housings are not designed to appropriately reflect the light of HID's as the light beam arcs upwards within the capsule compared to filament bulbs where the light is scattered within the housing making traditional reflectors appropriate.

Well regardless I am in the process of ordering the Phillips lights as we speak. Going to ditch my trucklites as the Philips have great reviews online.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:26 PM

I see you have them in you profile picture. How did they end up preforming. It seems every time I see you post you have more lights on your rig. It's a sickness, I want lights everywhere.

Quick Reply: Headlights-aftermarket options