Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 transmission....WARNING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:03 AM
Default H2 transmission....WARNING!!!

Folks just wanted to share a story with you and hopefully help prevent what I went through.

So I started noticing some oil drops under my H2. They were not very big. Well I thought I would take it in to see what it was, I checked the oil level and transmission level prior but, they were ok. When I went in the could not see me right away so I decided I would come back in the morning. Next day I did not go in. One day led to another day and a week past.

Ok now I see its leaking a little more and in a few other spots....Ok my plans were once my kids were on christmas vacation I would go and drop it off...The very first day they were off I was driving and I noticed my RPMS were going higher and higher but I was not going any faster while pushing the gas.

I pulled over and WOW all kinds of tranny fluid was gushing out the bottom of the H2. I had it toed to the mechanic and was hoping I did not damage my truck.

It turned out I needed some hoses and nobody carried them. So I had to wait 10 days to get them and without a vehicle. $550 and a call from the mechanic saying My 3rd gear looks to be messed up. The codes say no pressure..."You have to take it to a transmission shop" I said F%$^&.....ok so I drove it home only in second gear because it would not hit 3rd. The next day I take it into the transmission shop and they charge me $136 to let me know what I already know is going on. I am left with no idea what really is going on with the inside of this..is it actually the gears or torque converter, electrical ......

I get a call saying that YES there is something defiantly going on and they need $550 to pull the tranny out and further inspect it but, that $$ would go to the cost of any repair...So I say go ahead I need to get this fixed. I get a call the next day and am told that I need to have my transmission rebuilt because 3rd and 4th gear are jacked up and all the metal shavings went into all the areas of the transmission and its messed up other parts.....$2700 or $3000 to rebuild with heavy duty parts ( a performance rebuild)....well at this point I figured might as well pay the extra $300 and have it rebuilt heavy duty since I have big wheels and tires.

Got it back today and looks like I am going to have to get new breaks because since it sat for 10 days waiting for the hoses the tranny oil ruined my break pads on the right side and when breaking it pulls really hard to the left...I have tried to clean the breaks but looks like I will have to just replace the pads....which means more $$$$$

SO please if you see any leaks under your H2 take it in right away do not take a chance, rent a car do what ever you have to do because other wise you will be a fool like me with a $4000 bill out of pure negligence and could have been only $550....

Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Default Ouch!!

Yeah, That is a major bummer! Can I ask, how many miles do you have on your truck? You mentioned oversize tires, what size?
Thanks

Old 01-05-2014, 06:13 AM

I hate to hear that, I am curious on the above post too.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 PM

What hose failed? Was it the hose that has the black rubber hose crimped into it? about 8 inches of black hose? Mine is seeping there at each crimp just a bit. Did your hose fail at the crimps? Or pop out of the clips?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:12 PM

My tranny has leaked from somewhere in the bellhousing ever since I've owned it. There's a small access plug at the bottom of the housing. It's a very very slow leak so I've never worried about it. I'm sure it will need a new tranny some day soon though...

Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM

Ouch...$3000 for a rebuild! Sorry to hear this...I'm also wondering how Many miles & size tires you have...

Old 01-14-2014, 10:47 PM

WOW!!! $4000.00.... That's a lot of money for a rebuild. I have 2 H2's and that would hurt me like I was kicked in the ***** by Jet Li. The 3-4 clutches went out on my 03 last year with 35,000 miles on a rebuild by a GM Mechanic(previous owner had it done). I have 40" tires and had stock 4.10 gears. My wife's 05 broke a 2-4 band about a month earlier with 135,000 miles and stock tires and gears. I did some quick internet schooling(Google), because I'm cheap and don't trust someone else to work on my stuff. I rebuilt both of them myself with Heavy Duty parts that ended up costing me about $750 for each transmission(Monster Transmission). After more research, I could have got the same parts for a lot less from a local trans parts supplier. Yeah, it required a few special tools...maybe not as many as my wife was lead to believe, but if I have a problem again, I can handle it. My wife's now has about 35,000 miles on it and mine only has about 3,000 and both are doing well. I also installed larger trans coolers on each and bypassed the radiator heat exchanger. I changed out the gears on my 03 to 4.88 as I'm sure that's what caused the tranny to fail so quickly. If you run oversized tire's with stock gears, you're going to tax the transmission because it will have a hard time staying in 4th gear and it will keep shifting between 3 & 4. If you overheat the transmission, you're probably doomed too. I've also learned to watch my low trans fluid indicator(back window covered in red spray and/or driver behind you suddenly whipping past you cussing and flipping you off) more since one of my cooling hoses broke.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 AM

After the dealership I bought my H2 did a full inspection and found zero problems (during the 5 day return with no questions asked period) I took it to another dealership that I actually trust. In addition to actually fixing the steering issues I was having, my tranny cooler lines have a slight leak. Not an in-stock part so I made arrangements to get it fixed at my next oil change - I need to call them a few days before so they can get the parts in. Sounds like the same initial symptoms as the OP.

There were some other minor issues as well, front axle seal and another leak but I forget what. The tranny cooler leak is the big one that stuck out in my mind. I tend to be hard on vehicles, but I also try to have either manufacturers or 3rd party warranty and I always have every little issue fixed as soon as it's discovered. I couldn't even guess how many times I've had a car towed in my younger days - AAA threatened to cancel me. Now I do everything I can to deal with issues before they leave me stranded.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:08 AM
Banned

My tranny just started slipping. I dropped the pan and all kinds of metal shavings in the pan. They say that for these 4L60E trannys, the rubber pressure boot for 3 and 4 gears tend to fail causing slip which causes the 3 4 frictions to self destruct. I have a aftermarket trans cooler to the front of my radiator. I heard this was the best route as the trans cooler in the radiator tends to fail. Yes check your hoses for cracks and leaks! Trannys are not cheap to rebuild. I payed 1400 usd for my rebuild .. local mom and pop shop.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:50 PM
Default Why dose my h2 transmission over heats in the summer It operates like a supersonic

Originally Posted by Caraddict
Ouch...$3000 for a rebuild! Sorry to hear this...I'm also wondering how Many miles & size tires you have...
why does the h2 transmission over heat in the summer and in the winter it operates like a supersonic fast and furious performance bad *** I don’t understand can someone tell me please

Quick Reply: H2 transmission....WARNING!!!