PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 SUV 2003 License plate relocation

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Default H2 SUV 2003 License plate relocation

I found all the info for newer models but can't seem to find the '03 info. I did see this and it looks like what the service people told me I would need but I can't seem to find anyone who sells them anyone have any info?

http://rollmasters.com/ProductImages/Hummer1.jpg

Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 PM

That is what my 03 had, I guess when the dealer added the external spare tire carrier they added it. It was not much more than a flat piece of metal so I bet you could fabricate one easy enough.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:05 PM

I just found one on e-bay from SMA. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of yours would you? I'm trying now to figure out now how one might mount a light for the plate back there. I've seen in the pictures but can't seem to find a source for just the light and it appears SMA has been out of business for sometime now.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:48 AM

The light was easy. The one that came on mine was looking pretty shabby so I found the exact one at the auto parts store and replaced it. I traded my 03 in on an 06 so I cant snap any pictures for you. If I remember the lic plate light was made by Grote

Old 06-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks for all your help, I looked up that name and within the first few Google results spotted one that looks identical to the one I've seen in some very pixelated pictures for about 8 bucks. For that price I'll give it a whirl when the bracket comes in sometime this week.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 PM

Ok got my parts in and installed, I figured out an optional replacement for the lamp because they no longer carry the one mentioned earlier. The last piece I need is where to hook it in? There are all kinds of wires under there and I was able to kind of deduce where most of them went but I was still unable to find the rear license plate lights location, any pointers?

Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pauldy
Ok got my parts in and installed, I figured out an optional replacement for the lamp because they no longer carry the one mentioned earlier. The last piece I need is where to hook it in? There are all kinds of wires under there and I was able to kind of deduce where most of them went but I was still unable to find the rear license plate lights location, any pointers?
There is a plug (female end) tucked up under the bumper a bit to the left of the receiver tube as you standing looking at the rear of the H2. When you crawl under you will see this plug with nothing plugged into it. At least, mine didn't have anything in it.

Go to a Hummer dealer (or maybe any GM dealer) and get that plug. My dealer gave it to me, no charge. Then hook up the two wires as shown in the attached photo. Sorry, but I was in good clothes and didn't want to crawl underneath to see which one the ground wire was. A multimeter will tell you which is ground and which is hot. As long as your light bracket does not ground out, it doesn't matter, anyway.

Attached Thumbnails H2 SUV 2003 License plate relocation-license-plate-light-connector.jpg  
Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 PM

I appreciate the picture and I recognize seeing that while I was under there. Mine does ground to the bumper so I should be able to get by with just the hot wire right?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Theoretically, yes. But I would run the ground wire regardless to ensure you have and maintain a good, solid ground. You have to run one wire anyway so running a two wire cable only takes a few extra moments.

The hardest part is finding the right plug. Make sure you get the little connectors that pop into the plug after you crimp the wire on them. My plug came with wired connectors already snapped inside. A small jeweler's screw driver allowed me to pop the two connectors out without any damage to them. I crimped the wires and popped them back into place, and was good to go.

FYI, there was a commercial site that showed the pin-outs of that plug and what each pair was for. Sadly, the site has shut down and I didn't keep a copy of the page. If anyone can tell me what the pin-outs are I would be happy to modify my picture to include the pin-outs which would include what pin the ground is. A GM plug part number would be helpful, too. We could get it turned into a sticky as this question comes up on a regular basis.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 AM

After spending countless hours on the internet trying to find the connector I went under the bumper to find a part number on the male connector only to find the entire part is already there. It's Delphi PA66, from underneath the outermost pin is ground and the inner pin is powered when the lights are on. Mine didn't have any connectors only rubber sealers so I'm going to have to source those out but will report back when it's complete.

Ok part number is totally wrong it describes the plastics used to make the connector or something I found a catalogue from delphi and numerous connectors were labeled pa66.

Last edited by Pauldy; 06-13-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: H2 SUV 2003 License plate relocation