PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 Mirror Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Default H2 Mirror Problem

I have an 04 H2 that I bought used recently.... The mirrors I think are worn out. They swing back and forth loosely and will not stay in place. Do I need to replace them? Or is there a bolt somewhere inside the door panel that just needs to be tightened?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 PM

That's the safest thing to do. Mine did that after a car wash trip. Mashed the button to retract them there was some horrible popping and they were working again.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 PM

I hope someone else can chime in on this possibly.... I just bought my '03 used and I also have my passenger mirror that will not fold in/out.... Drivers side works fine but no movement on the passenger--- Any info from anyone on how to fix possibly without just replacing the assy??? Removal steps would be appreciated too--- thanks in advance for any help, Chris

Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 PM

My passenger side mirror wont stay in place either. Sounds like a fairly common problem. Any help out there?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:32 PM

03 - 05 mirrors had a lot of problems. If I recall correctly there was a service bulletin on them. If you take it to dealer, you might be able to get them to replace them with 06 or newer mirrors, which will solve the problem.

If you're just looking to tighten them, you would remove the door panel, peel back the inner plastic layer, tighten the mirror, then reassemble.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:56 AM

My mirrors didn't work when I purchased my pre-owned 06 H2- Had to have them both replaced bc the motors were burned out. There are directions in the owners manual on how to re-set them if they were folded manually. However, if the motors are shot then re-setting will not work. Beware though of shoddy workmanship from the dealer- immediately after the dealer replaced the mirrors, the passenger side heated seat controls were left inoperable and of course they are not taking any responsibility.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:32 AM

I have a 03 and both mirrors were shot , pulled them off and the motors and gears were rusted and broken , you cant buy the older mirrors at the dealer they will sell you the newer ones and they look and work great .
.mike

Old 10-15-2010, 05:36 PM

Another cross post, sorry

Pics part way down on the second page on how to get to the mirrors and what they look like after water gets to the motor.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12582

Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Default Awesome write-up Easy Ed

Originally Posted by Easy Ed
Another cross post, sorry

Pics part way down on the second page on how to get to the mirrors and what they look like after water gets to the motor.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12582

Absolutely Awesome write-up Easy Ed !!!! You are the man !!!
My hats off to ya for having the cahones to go after it and fix the problem---This is definitely what I'll try and your instructions is gonna make it a piece of cake--- That is great info and will possibly save folks from having to buy a replacement set--- I appreciate it very much and hope I can do the same for someone else down the road...That's what it's all about-- thanks, Chris

Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Default As I said, a BIG THANK YOU Easy Ed

As I said, a BIG THANK YOU Easy Ed

I followed Ed's write-up this afternoon (see his earlier post and link)----

Followed the write-up and pics and everthing went smooth as could be-- very well done write-up.... I didn't run into any snags.... took my passenger unit apart as his write-up said and sure enough..... small amount of RUST had gotten to the little circuit board and just enough inside the small motor to lock it up...
I took the WD-40 to it all...soaked it good, wire brushed both the circuit board and motor---cleaned the circuit board back up to new condition by removing the rust, and GENTLY worked on trying to turn the little motor... It didn't want to turn loose at first but I just continued spraying WD-40 inside and working the shaft on the motor. Finally after a couple minutes it made a little "pop" and started turning!!! Just enough rust had set up to lock it up...
After getting it going, my son and I (I suggest getting a second person to help--extra hands made it sooo much easier) put everything back together and it folds in/out like a million bucks now!!!!

Thanks Easy Ed---- you saved me from having to go buy a new set of mirrors!! That's how sharing info can be so good for everybody.... I hope and will try to share anything I learn so that somebody else can benefit like I did---
I love to wrench on my own stuff anyway... I know it's done right then
Have a great day everybody-- God Bless

Quick Reply: H2 Mirror Problem