PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 dead. NOT battery.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Exclamation H2 dead. NOT battery.

I searched and found tidbits in different threads, but I need some help.

I went to the doctor and everything was running fine. WHen I came out, it wouldn't start. No attempt, no clicking, no nothing. Battery voltage shows fine and had someone come try to jump me for 45 minutes just in case. Lights, radio, doors, windows, etc all work perfectly. It just does absolutely nothing when I try to start it.

I went just went through my owners manual and there are about 15 different fuses I'm about to drive back up and check.

Any other ideas or common issues? Ignition switch, starter, brake lockout feature, etc? My shift lock still works, as I can't take it out of park without having the key all the way forward and my foot on the brake.

There were no warning lights and there haven't been any signs of anything going bad. This was an all of the sudden type thing.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I don't want to go through the hassle of borrowing a flatbed and taking it to the dealership if I don't have to. I just need to know if anyone has any ideas of where to start (after I check the fuses) and what some common issues with these symptoms are.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Are you able to pull some codes?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 PM

do the lights dim a little when trying to start ?, i am thinking starter ..
you could buy a remote starter switch at auto zone ,its a push button with 2 leads (it helps test starter problems ,),put one on the battery and one on the starter solenoid
small connnector, if you push the button on the tester the starter should crank , if not its the starter , has long as the battery is good , this will by pass all fuses or any other problems.mike

Old 03-08-2011, 07:27 PM

I just checked every fuse and they are all fine. I pulled the battery and took it to have it tested and charged and everything was OK, but still nothing when I try to start it.
There is a relay under the hood for the ignition system and when I had someone try to crank it I could feel the relay clicking, so it's getting power. Yes, I tried switching the relays around, but no changes.
Yes, the lights dim when I turn it all the way to start.
Where is the starter on the H2? Can you access it from the top for testing, or do you have to get at it from underneath? Do you have to drop a bunch of skid plates to get to it? I looked from the topside with a small flashlight, but its dark and raining and the car is stuck in a grocery store parking lot.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 PM

The starter is on the pass side of the engine. You can see it if you look between the fender and the tire. I would try and tap it with a hammer while someone holds the key in the start posistion. Maybe the starter solenoid is bad. Is the security light flashing?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM

I agree with others...starter, however try moving the shifter then try again...also wonder if factory alarm is issue...try other key if you have it...let us know what you find

Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 PM

I went back and forth with the alarm. Locking, unlocking, key fob, actual key, all sorts of stuff. The security light is working like its supposed to.

I'll try to get at the starter tomorrow when I can take someone from work up there with me.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 PM

Do you have any odd looking keyfobs on your keychain that you dont really know what their for?

I had a security system similar to this, took me couple days to find the damn thing-
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-St.../dp/B000VL6GN8

Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 PM

It's the starter. Whacked this morning and now everything works perfectly fine.

Any tips on replacing the starter?