PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 and broken wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Default H2 and broken wires

A while back my transmission started acting up a bit (I am around 100k) It would feel like it would disengage after you come to a full stop for a split second.
rpms would go up and down a bit some times like it is slipping out of gear a bit or when going from 2nd to 3rd it sometimes seem to slip a bit.

So I decided to go make an appointment to have it check with the thought the tranny is going. So at the day I was going to make the appointment the service 4wd pops up on the screen. Great, another cost.
Well the wire to the transfer case was broken. That got fixed and it fixed the tranny issues too it seams like. I was out $140 for this which was a big sigh of relief. So a wire breaks. They should not I would think. It is nit the first one either. It is wire number 3!. Last summer all the sudden no AC. Guess what. A broken wire from a harness underneath the car. Simple fix luckily.
So I try to park the thing and the key will not come out. You guessed it. Another broken wire. This time underneath the shiftlever. With that wire broken the car would think it is still in gear making it impossible to take the key out.

Moral of this story? If something is the matter on your H2? It might just well be a broken wire.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 AM

Just curious on what year your deuce is?

What climate do you live in?

I wonder how many people have been ripped off and told they needed a new trans...

Mechanic be like ... Cha Ching!!!!

Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 PM

Mine is a 2003. I live in SW Missouri and that is where it has spent all of its life and there is virtually no rust on the truck.

I go to an independent shop that cherges $68 an hour and they always do a good job and do not rip you off.

I have another mechanic too. Charges $65 an hour and I can buy my own parts. He is a little ways down the road though.
He did my 100k tune up. New plugs and wires, New water pump and serpentine belt, new front bearings on both sides and new brake pads since they had to come off for the bearings anyway. Only thing left is a new instrument cluster. Speedo goes waco and the computer screen leads its own life sometimes

Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Interesting points. You would think the cold, snow, salt, etc would be the main cause but out here in AZ the heat is just as bad. I've seen vehicles where the insulation on the wiring has literally rotted and fallen off leaving bare wires. Something I'll keep in mind if I run into issues. Luckily my rig has been trouble free for the most part *knock on wood!

Old 03-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Default re:H2 and broken wires

I was just searching for results for the exact same thing you just mentioned on the thread, now I know where I'm going to look first...thanks nlhummer

Old 03-26-2015, 05:15 PM

That is why I posted it. We are here to help each other

Old 03-27-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by nlhummer
A while back my transmission started acting up a bit (I am around 100k) It would feel like it would disengage after you come to a full stop for a split second.
rpms would go up and down a bit some times like it is slipping out of gear a bit or when going from 2nd to 3rd it sometimes seem to slip a bit.

So I decided to go make an appointment to have it check with the thought the tranny is going. So at the day I was going to make the appointment the service 4wd pops up on the screen. Great, another cost.
Well the wire to the transfer case was broken. That got fixed and it fixed the tranny issues too it seams like. I was out $140 for this which was a big sigh of relief. So a wire breaks. They should not I would think. It is nit the first one either. It is wire number 3!. Last summer all the sudden no AC. Guess what. A broken wire from a harness underneath the car. Simple fix luckily.
So I try to park the thing and the key will not come out. You guessed it. Another broken wire. This time underneath the shiftlever. With that wire broken the car would think it is still in gear making it impossible to take the key out.

Moral of this story? If something is the matter on your H2? It might just well be a broken wire.
i would like to know the part number for that wire under the shifter since mine its on its way out . also what was the wire that was replaced and fixed your trany problems ???? thanks in advance ....

Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by nlhummer

do you know the part numbers for both wires the shifter and also the wire that was replaced and fixed your trany problems ???? thanks in advance ....

Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 PM

If you do a search, I started a thread here last year with almost the exact same issue as you (trans randomly slipping, speedo and tach bouncing etc).

Long story short, it turned out to be a wire harness that was rubbing on either the trans or engine (I don't recall) and was shorting out. Took a few trips to the dealer but they finally figured it out.

Mine is an 07 H2 and it had maybe 40k miles at the time.

EDIT: Just looked it up and my thread was from 2 years ago! Time flies when you love your vehicle I guess!

Last edited by GroceryGettinH2; 04-01-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:35 AM

You do not need parts for this. They soldered and shrinkwrapped it making it as good as new. Just paid for an hour labor