PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H1 or H2????

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Default H1 or H2????

I posted this over for the H1 guys.... I would also like some input from the H2 guys.... Thanks.

My son is 16 and recently got his license. He is now driving his 2 younger (14 and 15) brothers to school. We live about 7 miles from the school. He will not have to drive on the freeway. I am worried about his safety and want to get him the safestvehicle for them.... He has been driving about 6 months and is a great driver. He is a very respsonsible kid (better than I was at his age).... I am not worried about his driving as much as I am someone else hitting him.... Lots of High School kids drive fast and crazy around the school. I am thinking about buying an H1 for him to drive to school. I think it is heavy and safe. Am I wrong? I just want to know that if someone runs a stop sign and Tbones them they are as safe as I can make them.... What about an H2? I am leaning towards an H1 becuase then I can play with it on the weekends. I have 65 acres of property..... Money is not a big issue.... I think heavy is better and I have also heard the H! has re-enforced doors for safety. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Thread on the H1 section...
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...drivers-25135/

Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

If you are buying it for you and letting your son drive it it sounds like you want an H1. If you are buying it for your son and might occasionally borrow it from him probably an H2.
The question is kind of like blone or brunette, a lot of it is personal preference.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM

How does the H2 compare to the H1 for offraod purposes? Does the H2 have lockers? What about ground clearance? Does the H2 offer side airbags? Thanks guys.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:24 PM

The H2 has lockers in the Center and Rear and Traction Control for all tires....probably one of the best combos out there, except maybe a Wrangler Rubicon. The H1 up till 98 had brake activated lockers front and rear and the center was lockable as well...later models came with traction control only, except some of the last H1's, which came optional with lockers, but you will spend a lot more on a newer H1 than on a H2. Personally, I think a H1 is a little bit too much for a young driver. H1 also didn't come with any Airbags. H2 has 2 up front. I guess it is personal preference. They are both great offroad and the size alone are safety features Good luck deciding. Your son is a lucky guy. Not many youths out there have the chance to own a Hummer after getting their license. Also do some research on mechanical issues on the H1....pre 2001 models had a weak Cylinder 8....many have a replacement engine in theirs, so this is something to look out for. Also, pre 97.5 models had a bad HVAC system...a replacement was very expensive. Cheers.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Indy
The H2 has lockers in the Center and Rear and Traction Control for all tires....probably one of the best combos out there, except maybe a Wrangler Rubicon. The H1 up till 98 had brake activated lockers front and rear and the center was lockable as well...later models came with traction control only, except some of the last H1's, which came optional with lockers, but you will spend a lot more on a newer H1 than on a H2. Personally, I think a H1 is a little bit too much for a young driver. H1 also didn't come with any Airbags. H2 has 2 up front. I guess it is personal preference. They are both great offroad and the size alone are safety features Good luck deciding. Your son is a lucky guy. Not many youths out there have the chance to own a Hummer after getting their license. Also do some research on mechanical issues on the H1....pre 2001 models had a weak Cylinder 8....many have a replacement engine in theirs, so this is something to look out for. Also, pre 97.5 models had a bad HVAC system...a replacement was very expensive. Cheers.

Great information.... Thank You.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

H2's also have side curtain air bags.... since you specifically mentioned being t-boned...

Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

I'm the last one to ever talk someone out of buying a Hummer... but people see $$$$ when they see a Hummer.... That is going to attract a lot of negative attention.... can your 16 year old handle that? Can he handle a person throwing a slurpee on it?? I couldn't/didn't.... and that's a story for another time and place...

What if he has a lapse in judgement and he is the one that t-bones someone? I did... and it wasn't my fault... I was driving straight and narrow doing the speedlimit with my family and a woman made an illegal turn across 5 lanes of traffic and I hit her.... she saw $$$$ and thought she was going to sue me.... but LUCKY for me... I have a few witnesses and she was quickly shut down, and LUCKY for me the police did their job and ticketed her for careless driving... she was seriously injured and I was only going 45... maybe a little less....

Think long and hard about it.... think of what you have to lose... there is nothing wrong with driving a pickup....

again... I'm just trying to think big picture... WHAT IF????

Old 08-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Muddydawg75
I'm the last one to ever talk someone out of buying a Hummer... but people see $$$$ when they see a Hummer.... That is going to attract a lot of negative attention.... can your 16 year old handle that? Can he handle a person throwing a slurpee on it?? I couldn't/didn't.... and that's a story for another time and place...

What if he has a lapse in judgement and he is the one that t-bones someone? I did... and it wasn't my fault... I was driving straight and narrow doing the speedlimit with my family and a woman made an illegal turn across 5 lanes of traffic and I hit her.... she saw $$$$ and thought she was going to sue me.... but LUCKY for me... I have a few witnesses and she was quickly shut down, and LUCKY for me the police did their job and ticketed her for careless driving... she was seriously injured and I was only going 45... maybe a little less....

Think long and hard about it.... think of what you have to lose... there is nothing wrong with driving a pickup....

again... I'm just trying to think big picture... WHAT IF????

Those are all good thoughts and I really apreciate that...... Sometimes he drives my $70k Denali.... I bought it because I thought it would attract less attention than an Escalade... So I know what you are saying. It is me my wife and 4 boys.... We live pretty large and in a smaller town (for So Cal) so we attract attention wherever we go...

I try to live my life without worrying about being sued.... So that doesnt sacre me.... If they do it then oh well.... So far I have been pretty lucky.

I have been looking at some used H2's and they seem pretty reasonable... I have found a few 2004's with 50k miles on them for $25k. I havent looked at them yet....

So in your accident was you or your family hurt? That is my main concern.... Safety.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM

H2's also have side curtain air bags.... since you specifically mentioned being t-boned...

Awwww... That is good. I know the H1's dont have any air bags from what I read.... That is a big plus for the H2....

Thanks You.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 PM

I agree about driving the pickup... He likes it and is fine with it. He actually prefers it over a H1 or H2 beleive it or not...... But do you think an H2 would be safer? It just seems like an H2 or H1 is bigger heavier and safer to me... Not sure why I feel that way.....