PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groaning front driver front area

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Default Groaning front driver front area

Looking for a little help here, but I know diagnosing sounds on the internet can be pretty tough.

I have an '03 with 60k on it and when I turn the wheel to the right when moving (at any speed), I have a groaning/squealing sound from the driver's front corner area. It does it almost all the time if it's raining out, and when I first start driving. If it's not raining, and I've been driving for 10 or 15 minutes, it stops doing it 99% of the time.

I know it's not any kind of rubbing or interference issue because I have looked for areas it could be rubbing and it happens whether the wheel is barely turned or turned all the way.

My first thought is the wheel / bearing in that wheel is going, as I think I remember that being a pretty common problem on H2's. I just don't want to oder a new bearing if there is something else that this probably is or another common problem that I haven't heard of.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

define squeel? like a belt squeel? or a bad brake squeel?

have you jacked that front end? can you wiggle the tire up and down? is your caliper intact?

What does the rotor look like?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 AM

Nothing like a brake or belt squeel. Much lower pitch.
That's why "noises" are so damn hard to diagnose over the internet.
I ordered my new air bags for the rear suspension yesterday, so when I run it over to my mechanic to through them in, I'll him look at it.
Thanks for the reply though. I really assume it's the bearing, but didn't know if there were other common issues. There's no shaking in the steering wheel or anything like that either.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

you have the hub, and you have the halfshaft.... either could make noise...

let us know though what the mechanic sees...says.... second opinion.... etc...

Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM

I would be happy to look into this for you as well of you are not able to resoled the concern. Please feel free to contact me with more information. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

yeah.... I bet all he needs to do is send you his VIN....

LOL....

Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by GMCustomerService
I would be happy to look into this for you as well of you are not able to resoled the concern. Please feel free to contact me with more information. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
TowDawg; Don't give her any information or even another thought! She is here to "HEARD" people into dealerships and then the dealership will charge you for "diagnostic time". Heck, if you want to go to a dealership you can find one on your own without giving out any of your information to some 3rd party cattle rustler who does who knows what withyour information!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 AM

Interesting! Thanks for the heads-up guys!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM

I have not been a member long but all I read from tricia @gmcustomer service is the same

"I would be happy to look into this for you as well of you are not able to resoled the concern. Please feel free to contact me with more information. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service. "

Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by TowDawg
Looking for a little help here, but I know diagnosing sounds on the internet can be pretty tough.

I have an '03 with 60k on it and when I turn the wheel to the right when moving (at any speed), I have a groaning/squealing sound from the driver's front corner area. It does it almost all the time if it's raining out, and when I first start driving. If it's not raining, and I've been driving for 10 or 15 minutes, it stops doing it 99% of the time.

I know it's not any kind of rubbing or interference issue because I have looked for areas it could be rubbing and it happens whether the wheel is barely turned or turned all the way.

My first thought is the wheel / bearing in that wheel is going, as I think I remember that being a pretty common problem on H2's. I just don't want to oder a new bearing if there is something else that this probably is or another common problem that I haven't heard of.

Any input is appreciated.

I'm new here but I was doing a google search and happened upon this forum and I have this exact same problem on my '03. If you get an answer please post. I asked someone I knew and they thought it might have to do with the CV joint on the drivers side. I just haven't had the time to follow-up with it.

Quick Reply: Groaning front driver front area