PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Goodyear Duratrack installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Default Update

I want to update this thread for anyone needing info on these tires .

After a few miles on HWY the tires stop feeling wobbly .. I wish I could delete what I wrote before ..I had to admitted I love these tires more every day .

The ride improved on the bumps a lot .
Noise is relative low for a M/S tire this big
vibration is acceptable (almost none) @ 75 Mph

Handling on highway was the biggest issue tend to feels unsafe/unstable and after a few hundreds miles the feel is completely different ...

I read someone post commented the same experience , supposedly the new tires comes with some kind of rubber grease ( kind of) that will give the wobbly feeling .. this last for a few hundreds miles (100-200miles)

Btw tire pressure now is set at 45 psi which is the recommended by the Vehicle spec

Final note .. 315.70.17 Goodyear duratrack recommended

Old 11-18-2014, 02:44 PM

Bumping this since I have 3 questions.

1. What was the previous tire you had on the H2? I'm curious what you're comparing these to.

2. Is the "only thing I felt at very low speeds(10-15mph) is like smalls bumps , like riding over a gravel road" issue still there or is the tire (at low speeds) performing like a quality highway tire?

3. How's it doing in the rain? My "go to" all season highway tires have broken lose in rainy conditions. We get more rain than even you guys get (I'm just out of NOLA), so rain is a huge concern. I figured you'd know since you get your fair share and more.

These are on my short list & competes with the BFG A/T KO2 & (I have yet to see real world reviews on those yet).

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 11-18-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
Bumping this since I have 3 questions.

1. What was the previous tire you had on the H2? I'm curious what you're comparing these to.

2. Is the "only thing I felt at very low speeds(10-15mph) is like smalls bumps , like riding over a gravel road" issue still there or is the tire (at low speeds) performing like a quality highway tire?

3. How's it doing in the rain? My "go to" all season highway tires have broken lose in rainy conditions. We get more rain than even you guys get (I'm just out of NOLA), so rain is a huge concern. I figured you'd know since you get your fair share and more.

These are on my short list & competes with the BFG A/T KO2 & (I have yet to see real world reviews on those yet).
Previous tires ( Khumo road adventure same size ) .. I like this one much better .. less noisy , after a few hundreds miles handle perfect , Hyw or city the perform is excellent . Looks great ...
Do not expect long life on these tires but either on the Khumo which last 17k miles with me and another 20k with previous owner
I tested just once on heavy rain yet seems to handle great on wet surfaces at least on city . Also I replaced the steering damper which makes a big difference ..
I will have the opportunty to test it on Snow and ice on the next month . I will post a review about winter cond too
PLease read the whole post so you wont feel disappointed at first when feel the tires feels unsafe/unstable ... This may only last for a few hundreds miles

Old 11-18-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
Previous tires ( Khumo road adventure same size ) .. I like this one much better .. less noisy , after a few hundreds miles handle perfect , Hyw or city the perform is excellent . Looks great ...
Do not expect long life on these tires but either on the Khumo which last 17k miles with me and another 20k with previous owner
I tested just once on heavy rain yet seems to handle great on wet surfaces at least on city . Also I replaced the steering damper which makes a big difference ..
I will have the opportunty to test it on Snow and ice on the next month . I will post a review about winter cond too
PLease read the whole post so you wont feel disappointed at first when feel the tires feels unsafe/unstable ... This may only last for a few hundreds miles
I read through the discussion thing again today.

I have used Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & although the reviews are good, I've broken free a couple times in wet weather. This is why I ask. I'm not exactly happy w/ all season highway tires.

I look forward to the up coming review. They should do really well from what I've read.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:31 AM

@sythetickiller, What size michelins, I've been trying to buy the LTX A/T2 for my ride forever and michelin doesn't make a 315/70r17. I realize you said ltx m/s2 (which actually stands for multi-service, not mud and snow) it is a mud and snow tire but confusing in the labeling.

@ H2miami...sometimes new tires will feel like that on the highway, especially if they have a tall tread block and an aggressive tread design. that tall tread block will lean one way or the other and feel really scary until you get a little bit of wear on them. happens alot on different types of vehicles. Lowering your air pressure was a good solution. That feeling should go away quickly over time.

That is a good price, If I were selling the gdys at my shop to the customer for four installed they would come in at $1,490 so not that far off. it all depends on who you are buying them from. if it is a goodyear owned store, or they are direct with goodyear like discount tire is then they will be cheaper. i have to buy them from a third party so price goes up.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:06 PM

H2C .. The unsafe feeling last for about 300 miles , after that the tires feels great at dry or wet cond , cant complain

I installed in a Goodyear owned store . price was a little higher I guess cause the winter was coming .
But even buying from discount tires plus shipping plus mount plus balance plus alignment
End more less o same price .. difference didnt worth the hassle

Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN
@sythetickiller, What size michelins, I've been trying to buy the LTX A/T2 for my ride forever and michelin doesn't make a 315/70r17. I realize you said ltx m/s2 (which actually stands for multi-service, not mud and snow) it is a mud and snow tire but confusing in the labeling.
These were stock size on a Ram tuck, so 265/70r17 in size. Unless you're running 20" wheels, you can't even break 33" with these tires.

For the LTX, you can buy the 275/65R20 which is 34.1", but that's it. Michelin just doesn't make large tires.

Not sure where you get your tires from. I usually use tire rack & if you look up any brand there, it will break down the tire by type. M/S2 is an all season highway, where as the LTX A/T2 is an all terrain (sure you knew that, but I wanted to clarify). Tire nomenclature is complicated.

I'm only familiar with the BFG AT KO on Hummers. I've read that the newer versions (KO first gen) went down in quality. I had them on mine in from 03 to 08 (put 90k miles on them) & then replaced them with the same & they were sold with the vehicle.

I'm right now waiting for the KO2 reviews. If those tires get even 70k & provide a ride quality as high as my 03, I'm sold. The tires tires discussed here are still on my short list, but 40k miles is just not good enough, unless the ride quality is better.

What are you buying the tires to do? The LTX don't seem to be the best choice for all terrain vs competitors. It's not a bad tires, but not the best either.