PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

GMPP Dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Default GMPP Dilemma...

Hey everyone. I know this topic has been discussed a number of times, but I have not been able to get all the info I need, using the search button alone... So here goes.

The factory warranty on my 06 H2 is going bye-bye this week. I have 34K miles on it, and in the year owning it the only major warranty repair was the catalytic converter replacement. The H2 is used as a daily driver for the wife, and we pull a boat 250 miles a year and I do some mild off roading once a month, or so. The previous owner did a great job in maintaining it, and we will continue to do the same.

All that said, I am sitting on the fence about an extended warranty. GMOutlet will sell me an additional 4 years and 40K miles of coverage for $2500, including the HUMMER tax, w/ a $100 deductible. While I would love the piece of mind of knowing that it will be warrantied until its payed for, I'm not sure if the price is right.

I have read that I can expect to replace the idler and pitman arms, but is it likely that I will have to spend more than $2500 in repairs before I have 75K miles on the vehicle? Besides the infamous failed trans cooler strawberry milkshake, you don't hear about major motor/trans issues <100K miles, or am I missing something?

I am leaning towards no, because you can get a lot of work done for $2500, but the wife wants the warranty...

Your thoughts??

Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM

Idler and pitman arms will most likey be classified as a wear item and not be covered anyway. It's a tough call but I say forget the warranty.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Bought my 04 H2 with 36,000 miles on it. I got the 3yr extended warranty...$100 deductable....for $1000 and it was well worth it. I now have 51,000 miles and the 3 yr warranty recently expired.
Under the warranty I replaced/repaired:
Power steering pressure valve and pump
Water Pump
Broken bolts in exhaust manifold
Windshield wiper motor
Pitman and idler arms
Broken shifter wires
Leaking front axle seals
Rusted(broken) hood support cables

Since the warranty has expired I have sent instrument cluster out to replace bad stepper motors for $170.00 instead of the $500plus that the dealer wanted.

If you are planning on doing the repairs yourself orr go to a local auto repair shop then it might not be worth $2500. But if a dealer will do your repairs the warranty will probably save you some $$$ since their labor rates and what they charge for parts is very VERY high.
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Last edited by olfart; 04-03-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Buy the warranty!!!! Especially if you want to keep the truck. Alot of stuff goes between 35k-75k miles.

Here is what you will need.....
-Idler arm and pitman arm...A dealer is going to charge $700ish for this....Yes those are covered under GMPP
-Hubs.... A hub will cost $400+ just for the part at the dealer and you will have to do both of them close to the same time
-Ball Joints.....you have 4 of them and the wear out they will be like $150 each at the dealer and it will cost a TON in labor
-tie rods.....about $200 each....your truck has 2 of them while installation is cheap you will have to pay for an alignment
Intake manifold gasket-the parts are cheep the labor is $$$ its about a $600 job
Air Suspension-the air bags will leak the dealer charges $160 each to just buy them

All of this stuff wears out on an H2 before 75K miles trust me get the warranty. Not to mention you get roadside with the warranty too.

Damn listen to me...... I should get a part time job selling GMPP plans on H2's!