PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
View Poll Results: Which Finish?
Powder coat gloss black
0%
Spray in bed liner
100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Gloss black or bed liner

Old 07-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Default Gloss black or bed liner

ok i recently put up a thread about re coating my GOBI rack. after reviewing the plastic parts and other old exterior fading parts im going to re coat everything. by everything i mean the brush guard/ GOBI rack/ roof ladder/ rear tail light covers/ and all the plastic trim the goes over the wheel and runs under the doors.

the next question is what finish looks the best. ive seen some powder coated gloss black it looks clean. ive also seen some sprayed with bed liner and it looks tought. but i feel it looks cheap at times. these trucks are not jeeps i feel there held to a higher standard.

looking for opinions from fellow h2 owners let me know what you think

heres a pic of my rig for reference
Name:  IMG_3620_zpsw7q62fqe.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  329.4 KB

Last edited by H2sick; 07-22-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:50 PM

I have used spray on bedliner to coat roof racks, brush bar, rock rails, nerf bars, front bumper, skid plates, etc. If you take your time and do a good job prepping, spraying light multiple coats it is a very close match to the factory finished look. It leaves a fairly tough finish too.

The newer water based is crap. This is what I am using:

https://smile.amazon.com/Dupli-Color...ed+liner+paint

I get it at the auto parts store.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by H2sick
ok i recently put up a thread about re coating my GOBI rack. after reviewing the plastic parts and other old exterior fading parts im going to re coat everything. by everything i mean the brush guard/ GOBI rack/ roof ladder/ rear tail light covers/ and all the plastic trim the goes over the wheel and runs under the doors.

the next question is what finish looks the best. ive seen some powder coated gloss black it looks clean. ive also seen some sprayed with bed liner and it looks tought. but i feel it looks cheap at times. these trucks are not jeeps i feel there held to a higher standard.

looking for opinions from fellow h2 owners let me know what you think

heres a pic of my rig for reference
nice rig! love the rack, love to get one but pricey. $1695?!

Old 07-23-2016, 08:00 AM

Nice looking rig. I had a Yellow H2. I vote for the gloss black. The bedliner stuff is cheap looking and most will fade.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:44 AM

@nospoon can you send me pics of how it turned out please. if it really looks close to factory finish that would work well. how did you prep everything? i was planning to scrub the rust areas with a wire brush / wire wheel.

@2005h2 the rack was already on my rig when i got it but yes they are very pricey.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:13 PM

Here are a few quick pictures. Note it's dirty and needs a bath. I took some up close to show the finish. I think if it is done well it does't look cheap and one would have a hard time telling whether it is a powder coat or not. I don't like the "gloss" black, more like a semi gloss factory finish is what I was trying to accomplish.

I first wire wheeled the areas that had a little surface rust. Then I sanded everything just to roughen the surfaces for a good bond. I then sprayed the whole thing down with brake parts cleaner to make sure all oils were gone.

You could try this and if you aren't satisfied you could always have them stripped and powder coated.

I did these almost a year ago and have had it through the winter and some wheeling in some water/mud. I will take more once I get it washed and it's not 100 degrees outside!

Good Luck!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 AM

oh wow i have to say im pressed with the way that turned out. i wasnt expecting it to look so close to the factory finish. im sold on that thanks for the info bud

Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 PM

I'm glad you like it. I am very pleased. I tested on some spare stuff and really liked it. Just do your prep and follow the directions and temperature requirements.

Best of Luck!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 PM

bed linered look is more beneficial and usually thicker than regular paint. Also gloss black is going to fade faster and lose its gloss over time compared to a rougher finish.

Here in AZ everything loses its finish. I used wrinkle coat on my chrome gas door in black. Looked awesome when I did it and even that had faded over the years. Wrinkle coat is pretty strong stuff too.

I will eventually be doing all my black plastic, fender flares, brushguard, rack, ladder, etc in Rhino Liner.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:05 AM

I did my whole truck in rhino linning and i Love it doesnt show any scratches easy to wash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gloss black or bed liner