Go Back   Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners > Hummer Lineup > Hummer H2
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 22
Default Fuel door

Hi all, just became a proud owner of my first H2....A 2006 in nearly mint condition. One of the items that need replacing is the factory installed chrome gas door. The chrome is flaking and the hinge has started to let the door hang to one side. Bought a locking door on E-Bay (Bully) and followed the instructions, however the product would not fit into the plastic shroud. The assembly on there is 7 1/2" while the new assembly is 8". I sent it back and order another one, same size! Am I missing something here? Has anybody had to replace the factory door?..Thanks in advance, and I look forward to enjoying my new ride and discussion in the forum!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Hummerforums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
Default

what did you end up doing? same problem here
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM
LoJac963's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 645
LoJac963
Default

I'm actually looking to replace my stock chrome one as well since I can't stand the chrome. Do you just remove the allen bolts and the entire fuel door comes off?

I kinda figured all the doors would just work but I guess not-thanks for letting us know!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 PM
fyr145's Avatar
Senior Member
2007 Hummer H2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 321
Default Different fuel doors !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyOK View Post
Hi all, just became a proud owner of my first H2....A 2006 in nearly mint condition. One of the items that need replacing is the factory installed chrome gas door. The chrome is flaking and the hinge has started to let the door hang to one side. Bought a locking door on E-Bay (Bully) and followed the instructions, however the product would not fit into the plastic shroud. The assembly on there is 7 1/2" while the new assembly is 8". I sent it back and order another one, same size! Am I missing something here? Has anybody had to replace the factory door?..Thanks in advance, and I look forward to enjoying my new ride and discussion in the forum!
When I got my H2, I didnt like the fact that my fuel door wasnt lockable. One of the first items that I purchased was the chrome fuel door. I did some research and found Defenderwerx made them for the H2. However, I went to a distributer at GStyle4u and they ended up sending me the wrong one even after I told them I had on '07 H2. WHen the first one arrived, I was going through the very same issues you were and almost trashed my outer fuel ring that sits between the door and the body. I called them back and they had no idea. So this time I called the manufacturer directly (Defenderwerx) and they informed me that yes there are TWO different kinds of fuel doors. I gave them the part number for that was sent to me by Gstyle4u and the guy at defenderwerx said it was the other one. After my discussions with them, the guys at Defenderwerx were kind enough to not charge me shipping because of GStyle4u's error in not checking this for thier customer.
In the end, I had to ship the wrong part back to Defenderwerx and once they got it, they sent me the correct one! Now I have the correct locking fuel door!! This was a good lesson in being careful when dealing with the middle man!!! All I got from them was the run around and was told they had to "backorder" the part. Yeah, right. As a result of this occurance, I will not buy anything from Gstyle4u.com ever, nor would I recommend them to any fellow Hummer owners.

Ok, if you are going to get one from Defenderwerx, the one with the allen screws which goes on the '06 and newer H2's is # H2PPL08030. The other one, which sounds like the one you got goes to '05 and earlier model H2's is H2PPC08030.

Sorry you had to go through the same problems as I did, maybe this post will help some other H2 owner sometime.

Last edited by fyr145; 03-24-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 PM
fyr145's Avatar
Senior Member
2007 Hummer H2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 321
Default Fuel door.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
I'm actually looking to replace my stock chrome one as well since I can't stand the chrome. Do you just remove the allen bolts and the entire fuel door comes off?

I kinda figured all the doors would just work but I guess not-thanks for letting us know!
Lojack,

As long as you have the correct model, then yes, the 6 small allen screws is all you need to do, be careful not to crank on them too tight, they are small and will strip easily.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 22
Default

Thanks for the info..I ended up buying a new plastic bezel, drilling out holes for the allen screws, then buying slightly longer stainless allen screws to get mine to work. Great to know there are different parts and I wasnt going daffy!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2012, 04:40 PM
LoJac963's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 645
LoJac963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr145 View Post
Lojack,

As long as you have the correct model, then yes, the 6 small allen screws is all you need to do, be careful not to crank on them too tight, they are small and will strip easily.

Hope this helps!
awesome, thanks. I might end up picking up the GM black locking door but they're a little pricey!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 PM
fyr145's Avatar
Senior Member
2007 Hummer H2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 321
Smile Fuel door.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
awesome, thanks. I might end up picking up the GM black locking door but they're a little pricey!
I agree, they are pricey. I also noticed that when I installed the new chrome locking fuel door that the tumblers were a bit sticky, so I headed over to my local hardware store and picked up a small tube of dry graphite and it solved that small issue right up! Now the door works just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM
LoJac963's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 645
LoJac963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr145 View Post
I agree, they are pricey. I also noticed that when I installed the new chrome locking fuel door that the tumblers were a bit sticky, so I headed over to my local hardware store and picked up a small tube of dry graphite and it solved that small issue right up! Now the door works just fine.
great advice, I have a tube of that stuff around here somewhere
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
bully, chrome, door, flaking, fuel, gas, h2, hummer, install, installation, locking, long, remove, replace, replaceing, screws


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
Hummer Off-Road
Bumper Winches at CARiD
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.



SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.