PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front diff leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned
Default Front diff leaking...

SO, I just did an oil change, and noticed that my front diff is seeping oil from the seam between the two halves. It doesn't look like there is a gasket, just some goop sealer. Is that the way they have it from the factory, or has someone had it apart and put it back with no gasket?

It is not too bad now, but I will need to take it apart and get it sealed before too long. I can't help thinking that would be an awesome oportunity to throw an E-locker in there.

It doesn't look like it is really too bad to get the diff out of the truck. Am I wrong? Unbolt the axles, unbolt the driveline, drop the crossmember, undo the mounts, and it's out?

Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

You're pretty much spot on with all of your thoughts....

especially the e-locker part.... might as well throw in some 4.88's....

Old 07-06-2011, 02:36 PM

If the case just looks damp (meaning no actual drops of oil on the skid plate) at the seam then dont worry too much.

If you have had axle seals replaced there is a possibility that that your diff has been split. Reason beeing is that if you pull the axles out of the diff too fast you can break the retainer clip off in side the carrier. When this happens you have to take apart the case to get the remnants out.

Throwing in a front elocker while you are at it would be a GREAT idea. If I ever go back to an H2 (Sold mine and bougth an H1) the very first mod would be the front locker. The front locker takes the fight out over most obsticles that you struggled on without one.

Removal is simple. But make sure you have a buddy with you when you reinstall it. It's heavy and awkward. It only took me 2 hours to get my front diff out while on my back in front of my house laying on the ground. Getting it back in to 6 HOURS!!! lol, 2 scissor jacks, 2 ratchet straps and a floor jack. Again all alone on my back in front of the house.