PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Fog lights and light bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Default Fog lights and light bar

New owner

No power to roof bar

Can youn run the bumper lights as fog lights

If so how

Old 07-24-2014, 12:52 AM

What light bar are you talking about, factory or aftermarket?

Which bumper lights are you talking about, the front DRL lights or the rear lower bumper lights (if you have them)?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:20 AM

The factory offroad lights

The front bumper "fog lights" or driving lights- i am seeing a thread that says that you cannot run them manually as fog lamps. They only come on during the day via a sensor and no override?

Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Smile Roof bar info....

Originally Posted by geminibuddy
New owner

No power to roof bar............
I have the factory roof bar, here are some things you should consider looking at:

1. The factory light (roof) bar gets its power (if wired from the factory and not messed with by the previous owner) is located under the dash on the drivers side firewall just to the left of the brake pedal. There you will see a square-shaped black cover. Remove cover by pulling retaining **** toward you. You may have to turn it counter clockwise a bit to loosen it up. Once you have the cover off you will see several junction connection sites, some may be in use while others are not. The second connection on the top left is the C2 circuit, that circuit controls either the trailer brakes OR the roof light bar but not both. The factory connection for both the power and ground originate from there. The wiring to the roof light bar goes from that connection junction and runs up the drivers side "A" pillar up toward the roof.

2. Next, check that you still have the relays that give power to that circuit. The switch which is usually mounted (up by the map lights), controls those relays. This means that when you turn the lights on, the switch opens the circuit to the relays that allows power to the lights.

3. Check the switch. You may have a bad switch. A simple meter can easily check for continuity of the switch. Also look for any broken wiring.

4. Lastly....Bulbs. Open up the light bar (from the sides with the key) and access the black insulating strip on the top of the bar and remove one of the bulbs. Run a separate 12volt power straight to the bulb and check for a burned out bulb(s).

Let me know what you find. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM

The factory offroad lights

The front bumper "fog lights" or driving lights- i am seeing a thread that says that you cannot run them manually as fog lamps. They only come on during the day via a sensor and no override?

You can do the diode mod to have them on all the time, during the day and at night with the headlights. That's what most of us have done. Although you said you don't want them as DRL's which is their purpose. You would have to add a switch to the interior and run wiring to manually turn them on and off.

FYR YOUR STILL ALIVE!!!!!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by LoJac963
FYR YOUR STILL ALIVE!!!!!
Oh yeah........just lurking between the boards. Call me dude! Time to do a lunch sometime soon!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by fyr145
Oh yeah........just lurking between the boards. Call me dude! Time to do a lunch sometime soon!

Definitely, if I can find time between work and school! I may be going to days at my hospital so that would free up a ton of time. I'll keep you in mind!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Default Lights

Thanks for the feedback!

Also- I am not sure I know diode mode. I want the front fog lights burning at night as well.

That would mean they on 100% of time though. I have been out of town and not able to play with it yet.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 AM
Default Trailer brake and light bar

Ok, I have trailer brakes. I failed to read that the light bar and trailer brake could not work together. Ideas to get both functioning properly?

Old 07-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Default suggestion

Ok, I have trailer brakes. I failed to read that the light bar and trailer brake could not work together. Ideas to get both functioning properly?
My suggestion is just to decide first which one you want to work from the factory junction C2 circuit. Instead of tapping into that and trying to split them up. The fuse may not be able to supply power to both items off of that same port.

Instead, look for another source of power and ground and supply that to the item you want to run it to.