PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

exhaust buying a cat back VS changing just the Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Exclamation exhaust buying a cat back VS changing just the Muffler

exhaust buying a cat back VS changing just the Muffler.
Ok So I went down to My local muffler shop that I have been using for 20+ years. And I asked the question. What benefit am I going to have buying a Cat Back System versus just replacing with a less restrictive muffler like Flow max or any other one being used on Hummers? They realy could not give me an answer. His only response was that MY FACTORY 06 WAS 2 3/4 and most exhaust systems are 3 inch and the difference was negligible between those two. So do I spring for a $600 package plus install (and if so why) or save the money and do the new muffler for 200 installed.
Then some other guy told me these trucks have 4 catalytics and too remove one set would also improve my performance. would this affect any of my sensors if I did this? are there performance Cats that do the job and not give me annoying lights on my dash?
Ultimately my goal was to squeeze a bit more MPG out of the truck even 1 would be great. Then getting a better performance from the truck is just an added bonus.I am also putting in an AirRaid.