PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Engine hot, AC turned off

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Default Engine hot, AC turned off

I got this message 2 weeks ago on the dash, and noticed the temp gauge was reading nothing, right at the bottom, as if the engine was cold. I got home shut it off and tried to restart it, and the engine just turned over, but wouldn't start. I let it cool down for 8 hours outside in the cold, and tried to start it, the same message came up, but when it started, the engine was knocking and smelled very bad. I had it towed in the the dealership, thinking the block had cracked or something like that. They replaced a ECU sensor and said that was it. I picked it up and everything was good. 2 weeks later, the same message came up, so now it's back at the dealership again. Any ideas????

Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 AM

Has it lost any coolant? If it has then you might have internal engine problems. A temp gauge will not read if there is no coolant passing over the sender so it could have been out of coolant and overheated but the gauge will show cold. If you have not lost coolant then I bet there is an electrical problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 PM

If it did overheat it could have gone into "limp mode" and shut off the AC and only allowed some of the cylinders to fire and others pump air. If that happens it usually displays all kinds of warnings in the display.
I think I would ask them to do a compression check.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:58 AM

There is no coolant missing, and none leaked out. I don't think it overheated, the engine light didn't even come on.
I got it back, I guess it was a ECM board? Some circuit board that plugs into the main computer that controls lots of things. It runs fine now, we will see!

Last edited by SD90; 12-20-2010 at 03:00 AM.