PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Are dual shocks falling out of favor with Cognito and Kryptonite

Old 01-14-2016, 07:48 PM
Default Are dual shocks falling out of favor with Cognito and Kryptonite

I'm looking to put in a lift kit (Fabtech) on my 2008 Hummer H2 and I also want to upgrade the upper control arms. The short list for the UCA's are Kryptonite and Cognito. I would like to run dual shocks and but I heard from DMax that the Kryptonite won't make boxed UCA's with dual shocks and I heard Cognito is in the same boat. Any idea why they won't make boxed UCAs with dual shocks?

So that narrows it down to tubular Cognitos if I did not want to compromise on the dual shocks. So are dual shocks all show and no go? I just wonder why manufactures seem to be moving away from tubular UCAs and going to boxed with only one shock.

I want the H2 to both look and function awesome but function is first and it seems like compromises will have to be made.

So what would you do if it was your H2?

Old 01-14-2016, 10:52 PM

Dmax just has no interest in making them. I think it's such a niche product, it's not worth their time. Most lifts for diesel trucks are going to include all the hardware for dual shocks.

I don't want to speculate on 2 shocks vs one.
What are you needing dual shocks for & what shocks are you running?

I see you're in Utah, so my guess is you go to Moab?

Old 01-15-2016, 09:30 AM

Right now it's a bone stock H2. I will be going to Moab though when it's all done.

I just think the two shocks look sweet!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:46 AM

If it's a DD, you might want to reconsider that.
Doing the same thing crossed my mind, but I came across a post on dieselplace about the dual shock hoop set up:

Originally Posted by Desert Dmax
The long answer is, unless the dual shocks are valved differently to act as one shock, the shocks will potentially produce a stiffer ride and potentially put more stress on parts of the suspension like; upper ball joints, etc.
If you're just buying stock shocks, hell no. If you're going custom, prepare to spend a lot. Unless you have shocks made for your application, you won't be happy with the change in the ride. You can get a set of shocks from King for a pretty penny that are adjustable for whatever terrain you're on (mall crawling to mud to Moab). Icon is also a solid option. Just make sure you get something adjustable. You can really dial in just how you want the ride to be & they can be revalved. If you have an absolute fortune burning a hole in your pocket, you can go bypass, but that's going to be $10k out of pocket. Those are some of the "coolest" shocks you can get. They'll just cost you.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:49 AM

I was thinking about going with dual reservoir fox shocks but nothing is set in stone. I'm still thinking about the UCAs.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:59 AM

I'd call Fox & see what they have to say about running dual shocks. They should be able to set you up for whatever you need. Might as well contact Icon & see what they offer. King will set you back. I can't say working with King is the easiest either.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:38 PM

Honestly here in AZ duel shock setups are on 99% of the mall crawlers-especially the lifted F250's. I think everyone and their dog has a lifted F250 anymore with dual shocks.

If it were me I would rock the boxed UCA's because they look killer and much beefier than the tubular UCA's.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 PM

I would really like to rock the Kryptonite boxed UCAs but they won't make them with another tab for dual shocks. They sell the UCAs raw so the mod could be done but that would void their warranty.

I wish Kryptonite was more of a public company where you could call up and talk to them rather than call up Dmax and go through them.

I called up Dmax about 2 months ago and asked about dual shocks and they said they were working on it and would give me a call around now. I called up Dmax and now I guess their plans have changed.

How hard would it be to weld on another tab and then send it off with the rest for powder coat? I con't think it would take more than an extra hour and BAM they could make a sale and both of us walk away happy.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:24 PM

I guess the Kryptonite UCAs for dual shocks are in testing how. Hopefully they will be out in the next 3 months.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 PM

I'm going the same route, but only because I already have the pieces and parts off of my duramax truck that got totaled. Dual shock uppers, fox shocks, etc..

It will be a while until I get it all together though so unfortunately I won't be able to give you any feedback any time soon.