PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Drivetrain Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Cuz
Default Drivetrain Issues

My 03 H2 is in the transmission shop and just had the transmission rebuilt. It also looks like the front differential is shot as well. With the new transmission installed we tested it without the front differential connected. Ok in regular 4 wheel drive you can see the transfer case turning the front shaft but the rear wheels are not turning. When you select 4 wheel high and low locked the rear wheels will turn. Kind of lost with this one. If anyone has seen this problem before it would be a great help to me. The transmission shop is not going to be able to check all the issues out until I get the differential fixed and take it back to them.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 AM

Find a competent four wheel drive shop in your area and take it to them.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:45 PM
Cuz

I was kind of hoping that someone on this site may have ran across something similar to what I'm going through. Does anyone know of any H2 mechanics that are registered to this site. Or is almost everyone on this site bolt on mechanics. Thx for reply

Old 10-18-2016, 06:17 PM

This is because its all wheel drive in "regular 4wd" Requires resistance at all wheels to get axles to rotate. Without front shaft in the front output will turn cause it has the least amount of resistance on the transfer case. Put the front shaft in, put it in 4hi lock and try that in the air.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Cuz

I'm working on getting the differential repaired. Then I will be able to connect everything and check it all. Right now it will not engaged the transmission at all without the front differential connected. I get 4w service light and the transmission does not engage. Thx for the replay. Sounds correct.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:07 PM

Which differential? front? Why was the transmission rebuilt?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:16 AM

So your saying your trans and diff both failed at the same time?

Old 10-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Cuz

The transmission and the front diff both failed at same time. The tranny has been rebuilt and installed. I just pulled the front diff and found that one of the mounts completely came out. Also when I turned the diff by hand there is a massive rattle and the ujoint mount moves badly. I'm taking the diff to get rebuilt and hopefully they can fix the mount for me as well.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Cuz

Does anyone know if the spline/yoke on the transfer case going to the differential is supposed to just slide out with the drive shaft or is there a clip or fastener holding it into the transfer case.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 PM

Both the front driveshaft and the rear driveshaft will slide out of transfer case. On the front you need to first pop the rubber boot off on t-case side then shaft will slide out. If it doenst then its seized on the splines.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Issues