PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Dog Problums

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Default Dog Problums

Story:
My friend decided to bring over his untrained 120lb. German Shepard. His dog was busy playing with mine but once he noticed we were leaving in the Hummer he decided to give my buddy a last goodbye hug... Through the open window, using the outside of the door as a stepping post. He left a few scratches; normally I wouldn't care, but I haven't had the H2 for even a year yet so I was a bit pissed to say the least. Luckily they aren't too deep, my finger nail just barley catches them when I run it over them.

Question:
How should I remove the scratches? Recommendations on brands or tactics would help.

Attached Thumbnails Dog Problums-photo.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 08:15 PM

Try some scratch remover or rubbing compound....if that doesn't work, wet sand with some fine sandpaper and buff it.
....or take it to a bodyshop and give your buddy the bill!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Default 3M Scratch Removal System - 39071

Originally Posted by Nate2106
Story:
My friend decided to bring over his untrained 120lb. German Shepard. His dog was busy playing with mine but once he noticed we were leaving in the Hummer he decided to give my buddy a last goodbye hug... Through the open window, using the outside of the door as a stepping post. He left a few scratches; normally I wouldn't care, but I haven't had the H2 for even a year yet so I was a bit pissed to say the least. Luckily they aren't too deep, my finger nail just barley catches them when I run it over them.

Question:
How should I remove the scratches? Recommendations on brands or tactics would help.
I used this on mine, had a 5 foot key scratch that a Hummer admirer left for me. Pull up 3M Scratch Removal on youtube and watch. Take your time and follow instructions. I have very little patience when it comes to body work. I spent about 2 hours (5 foot scratch) and followed the directions to a T and it did a great job, can not tell were it was.

3M Scratch Removal System - 39071

Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 PM

That sucks. Had the same thing happen to me. I wAs pissed. Luckily it was my dd. Nothing to ruin a friendship over.

Waxing and buffing will make it disappear for a little while but it will come back.

Looks to be the clear coat (on my cell phone). You could take it to a bodyshop and wetsand it and re-apply the clear. You may get lucky.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by hanama605
Little dent. My solution, I decided that I did not see the dent! I was happy with my decision :-)

I actually lol'd when I read that.

Originally Posted by Throttle Fever
I used this on mine, had a 5 foot key scratch that a Hummer admirer left for me. Pull up 3M Scratch Removal on youtube and watch.

3M Scratch Removal System - 39071

That seems like it works great. I'll give it a go soon and tell you how it worked for me. As for those Hummer admirer's i've run into a few of those myself, luckily none of them have actually done anything. Driving home from the dealership I was flipped off by a women in a smart car that told me "I'm ruining her air!!"

Old 04-12-2014, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I get that all the time living were I live, tree hugger capitol of the world. They drive there Subaru's and Hybrids pass me doing 80 and think they are saving the world. Had a guy pass me on the pass last year in a snow storm (in his Subaru) flips me off (why I don't know) 5 miles up the road he was in the ditch (there is a god) I pulled over and he was nice as pie, asked him why he flipped me off back down the road, said he didn't, so I just got back in my truck and left him, (did not need to make it worse for him) figured he got the point.

As for the scratch that kit has a small piece of 4000 grit sand paper, I just kept the garden hose next to me while sanding the scratch out, (keep the area wet while sanding) it will pull it out. Then follow through with the compound and polish. Did mine a couple months ago with that system, can not tell where the scratch was, my truck is white, may be a little more forgiving?

Good luck

Old 04-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Do some wheeling in the woods and you won't even notice those. When my German Shepherd would jump out of my Suburban (H2 is to high), he would leave scratches like that. They all buffed out. Maguire's Scratch X is a quick temp solution.