PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Desert upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Default Desert upgrades?

Hi guys, I want to upgrade the H2 for life in the desert.

I'm in AZ and I do lots of driving during the summer. Are there any upgrades that can provide better cooling that have turned out to be reliable?

Radiator, oil coolers, trans coolers?

I also drive into places where you would not want to break down. Any good options for dual batterie / dual alternator setups?

I am staying away from lift kits and big wheels because I heard that can lead to more stress on the drive terrain.

Any info you have would be appreciated. The truck is a stock 07 H2

Thanks

Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 AM

I would perform a coolant flush at a minimum... Then again, I am a BIG believer in COMPLETE fluid changes. When I bought my Deuce, I have ALL the fluids flushed/changed out...

Old 04-04-2014, 06:05 PM

I'm in AZ also as are a few others. Never had cooling issues what so ever. The main thing you might want to do is bypass the in radiator tranny cooler and add an external to prevent the dreaded cracked tranny cooler.

I've been meaning to do mine but haven't gotten around to it.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I'm in AZ also as are a few others. Never had cooling issues what so ever. The main thing you might want to do is bypass the in radiator tranny cooler and add an external to prevent the dreaded cracked tranny cooler.

I've been meaning to do mine but haven't gotten around to it.

Thank you! My temperature gage was fluctuating a lot last summer while taking trips up to the white mountains, made me a little nervous.

What brand trans cooler do you recommend? Any good shops in the valley?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:13 PM

That's funny I actually live right by the white tanks.

As for aftermarket trans coolers, there was a huge thread with a lot of pics I'll try and find for you.

Shop wise, not sure. I try hard not to take my vehicles to the shop. Only unless I can't fix something will it go in.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963

As for aftermarket trans coolers, there was a huge thread with a lot of pics I'll try and find for you.

still waiting

Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 AM

I ended up replacing the stock radiator with a double row aluminum one that almost doubled my coolant capacity. The company name was BeCool but there are quite a few good radiator manufacturers out there. I was trying to fix a heat issue while towing. Since the radiator change and the swap back to a mechanical fan I haven't been able to get the engine temp above 202 degrees. even towing into Death Valley up a 7% grade for over 30 miles in 100 degree weather. So the radiator is the shi!# . as for the trans cooler again lots of good companies out there to chose from. I ended up with B&M. they made a large trans cooler with its own fan and steel threaded lines . also replaced my trans pan with a larger aluminum one with "heat sink" fins on it from B&M. it helped although my trans temps still fluctuate a bit while towing.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:41 PM

Nice post some pics of that setup!! I couldn't find that dang thread for you.

I put a BeCool in 77 Camaro and that thing ran cold as ice. They are hand down some of the best aluminum radiators on the market and their prices aren't bad at all!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN
I ended up replacing the stock radiator with a double row aluminum one that almost doubled my coolant capacity. The company name was BeCool but there are quite a few good radiator manufacturers out there. I was trying to fix a heat issue while towing. Since the radiator change and the swap back to a mechanical fan I haven't been able to get the engine temp above 202 degrees. even towing into Death Valley up a 7% grade for over 30 miles in 100 degree weather. So the radiator is the shi!# . as for the trans cooler again lots of good companies out there to chose from. I ended up with B&M. they made a large trans cooler with its own fan and steel threaded lines . also replaced my trans pan with a larger aluminum one with "heat sink" fins on it from B&M. it helped although my trans temps still fluctuate a bit while towing.
Very good info and much appreciated!

Do you happen to know what model radiator you put in? Their chart only lists up to year 04 and I have an 07, I am sure there is not a lot of differences?
Did you have any fitment issues with the larger core?
As I understand it, the trans cooler is built into the oem radiator so when you replace the radiator, you also must add a standalone trans cooler?
Where did you mount your B&M Trans Cooler?
So you went back to a belt driven fan instead of using the 2 electric fans on the Becool radiator? What was the reason for that?

Again, thanks so much for this info! I am going to get started on this right away.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by H24U
Very good info and much appreciated!

Do you happen to know what model radiator you put in? Their chart only lists up to year 04 and I have an 07, I am sure there is not a lot of differences?
Did you have any fitment issues with the larger core?
As I understand it, the trans cooler is built into the oem radiator so when you replace the radiator, you also must add a standalone trans cooler?
Where did you mount your B&M Trans Cooler?
So you went back to a belt driven fan instead of using the 2 electric fans on the Becool radiator? What was the reason for that?

Again, thanks so much for this info! I am going to get started on this right away.

The part # I believe was 67102. I got it from summitracing. no fitment issues at all. the trans cooler lines still go through so its a direct fitment. U don't have to replace your stock trans cooler. I mounted my cooler where the stock one was. just swapped em out.

I did go to a twin electric fan setup but had No benefit from it. my engine was actually getting hotter when towing. so it was a no go for me.