PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Couple of quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Default Couple of quick questions

So I've had my 06 H2 for a little over a week now. Everything seems to be going great except when I turn-usually right and the weight goes to the driver side of the truck I get a pop/clunk. It doesn't do it all the time but pretty frequently. Doesn't sound like body flex or anything of that sort so I was curious if anyone else has had similiar sounds coming from the rear.

Also what are all using to jack these heavy monsters off the ground? All I have is a low pro aluminum racing jack I use on our Sky and my old GTO but with a 2,000lb rating and not much travel I don't see it working on the H2.

The only thing I can think of is a 8-10k pound bottle jack?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 PM

I had the same problem on my 06. Come to find out it was the rear body mounts. It was popping when I turned. Dealer replaced them under warranty and problem fixed.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 PM

interesting, thanks for the input. I'll crawl under there and see if I can find anything out of the ordinary. It did come with a short warranty so I'll have them take a look at it.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 PM

I agree it may be the body mounts, I went thru and replaced mine and it cleared it up.

What to use as a jack is another story. I have a couple of options for you. I have used both but I do have my preference.

I've used an ARB X-jack exhaust jack, still have it and if i'm going to be in the sand its the way to go. I would never use this in rocky terrain, or anyplace I could use the hi-lift mentioned next. Sand or mud only as it takes too long and is sensetive to where you lift at. The H2 has lots of sharp edges which would render it useless in short order

As a standard item I carry a hi-lift jack. I just run it up under the appropriate clevis at one of the 4 corners of the truck and it does the job just fine. Always works when I want it to just have to carry something to put under it in sand or mud. They do make an attachment of sorts for using the clevis which seems like it adds a bit of convinience and safety but i've never used it.

Hi-Lift Jack Company - Highest quality equipment at a reasonable price

Old 07-23-2011, 06:54 PM

^how difficult were the body mounts to do on your own? I have still yet to climb under to take a look but definitely will Sunday. Thanks for the information.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:55 PM

It was done with the help of 2 others who are professional mechanics and myself at a shop with a lift. Took is about 2 1/2 hrs total but we had frequent stops for beverage refills. I cant find record of what I paid for parts but it wasnt much

Old 07-24-2011, 04:27 PM

Yes, it sounds like the rear body mounts. We had the dealer change ours under warranty on our 2008 H2. Its a common problem for many but most never see about getting it fixed as it wont make the noise during regular driving.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

as for the jack, the factory one is very useful and useable offroad. I used a highlift to lift the body, and used the factory one to lift the axle.

I slit a sidewall on the trails and the highlift would have been unsafe to lift the flat one high enough for change, but the factory one would have sunk deep in the mud trying to lift the entire weight.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Ok so I took the H2 back to the dealership for some parts they ordered as part of the buying deal. Long story short the morons ordered the wrong parts (marker lens) but anyways the Body Mounts are NOT covered under my 6k/6month warranty. It looks like I'll be doing them on my own.

I have one other contact who has always worked miracles for me so I'm going to give him a call and if it falls through it looks like I'll be doing them on my own.

I'm going to start with the rear pair and slowly work my way forward until all the popping and creaking stops......

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I think if you went down to Harbor Freight and bought on of those CHEAP hyd ram kits you could do it yourself.... Just removed a puck in the middle, put the ram in there, and remove the other bolts on that side....

and repeat on the other side...