PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

possible electrical problem - suggestions?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Default possible electrical problem - suggestions?

We have an 03 H2. A few days ago I was loading my groceries into the car (H2) and noticed when I got in all the interior lights were on and the radio was playing all while I still had the keys in my hand. I tried to start the car but it would not turn over, not even a peep. All lights, radio, windows etc worked normally but could not start the car. Called a tow truck, he could not jump it. Just as he was going to load it up and take it to the dealer, it slowly turned over. At that point I headed straight to the service department where they instantly told me it sounds like I need a new electronic control module. But after checking it out they said that I had a bad battery (said it would not hold charge and had a bad cell) so they replaced it. I had them save the "bad" battery for me so that I could return it due to that is was only 3 months old.

I went to the auto part store to return my battery and they of course tested it first and surprisingly it tested out as being a good battery. (voltage: 12.78v; measured: 957 cca; rated: 840 cca; temp 74).

Now I'm not convinced the problem is solved since that obviously means it was not a problem with the battery. I've had an instance with the same dealership last month, mis-diagnosing a problem and replaced a part that was not broke to a tune of $1000. They did make amends by putting my parts back on and fixing what was really broken. The service department told me to bring in the report from the auto part store and they will compare it to theirs. So we'll see where that goes.

But with the symptoms that I initially had, does it sound that it was just maybe a bad connection with the terminals or does it sound more severe like either an ignition problem or that I need an ECM? The car is currently working normally but I'm just leery I'm going to get stuck again. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:47 PM

Do you take it to a HUMMER specific (certified) dealership or someone else?

HUMMERs have a few quirks that are easily found by people that constantly work on them.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 AM

Always. They are a certified Hummer service center.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 AM

Maybe the cables were loose and when they installed the new battery that took care of the loose cables. I would bet you have an Ignition switch going bad.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Some of them did end up with ignition (key) switches going bad. One of my personal ones also had that happen.. Jamie

Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM

About a week after my initial post, it broke down again. Same thing. Pulled in, turned the car off came back less than 5 minutes later and wouldn't start. Lights worked and battery tested perfect. I kept trying it on and off for about 30 minutes and it finally turned over. Went straight to the service dept at the dealer! The ended up replacing the starter and putting my battery back in and refunded the $200 that they charged me the week before for the new battery. So far so good. Its been about 2 weeks now and I haven't had a problem. "knock on wood". Thank you all for your input, I really appreciated it.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 PM

But that doesn't explain why the interior lights and the radio was on?????? Or was your starter and ECM both bad?