PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an H2... What to look for..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Default Buying an H2... What to look for..

I am thinking about buying an H2..... What do I need to watch out for? I am new to Hummers so I dont know much.... I know I want front, rear and side air bags.... What else should I look for? Thanks guys.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Well depending in what year you get engines are different 6.0 or 6.2. If you want air suspension or springs, navi, headrest monitors ( all those little features)

Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 PM

I am looking around a 2004.... But not sold on anything yet.

What years had what engines? Is one better than the other?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:16 PM

As said by senior member TAINER:

"" 2003-2004 6.0l: 316 hp @ 5200 rpm and 360 lb-ft. of torque @ 4000 rpm

2005-2007 6.0l: 6.0-liter V8 producing 325 horsepower at 5200 rpm and 385 lb.-ft. of torque at 3600 rpm.

2008-2009 6.2l: New 6.2L Vortec with significant improvement in both Performance and FuelEconomy. 393 hp (+68 hp) @ 5700 rpm and 415 lb.ft torque (+50 lb.ft) @ 4300 rpm ""

Make sure to take it into the highway for a test drive, pay special attention to the shifting pattern of the tranny.
Also I would recommend you an H2 with the tire mounted outside, as this increases the cargo space by like 40%

If sunroof, check for leaks.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Thank you..... great info.

Also I see that some H2's come with a jump seat so you can seat a 6th person. Does anyone make a full 3rd row seat that can be easily installed or did they make a H2 with it already? It looks like a small seat due to the spare tire but if you get one with the tire mounted on the rear it looks like there is plenty of room for a full bench seat back there.... Thanks guys.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, they make a full 3rd row seat that folds out into a bed.... perfect addition for that 16y/o....

IF I had to do it all over again.... I'd still buy my 2003 and my 2007 again.... I have ZERO regret with either of them. It's cool to have the first year.... and the last year (with dash *******)

Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM

I would think 06-07' you could find priced right......Basically you need to decide if you want a Lux or an Adventure group. The only issue with the air-ride in the Adventure package, is that sometimes they spring a leak and are expensive to fix.....

Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Solarflare: My Adventure Package H2 gives me a message on the LCD dashboard saying "Check Air Supension" the message ussually comes every two weeks specially while driving over a bump.

Also sometimes when on a cold-start, I hear for like 5 seconds an "Air" sound when accelerating (like the air of a compressor being let out).
... do you think i have a leak on the air suspension?

Rhinomike: When I brought my H2 in had the tire mounted inside and the 3rd row seat included... Which took all my interior cargo space.
So I mounted outside the spare tire, and eventually I got sick of the third row seat (it keep on getting stuck), which opened up a lot of room for other stuff like audio system, beer cooler, grocery bags, toolbox...
Remember just because the H2 looks huge on the outside doesn't mean its gonna be huge on the inside.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 PM

LIL-TNK
I really don't know what the issue would be with your air suspension....I never had any issues with mine, and I have a Lux now, so no more air for me!
I'm assuming you must have a leak somewhere in the air system to get that message on your LCD. You might want to check with some other folks on this forum that know more about that part.....

Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by rhinomike
Thank you..... great info.

Also I see that some H2's come with a jump seat so you can seat a 6th person. Does anyone make a full 3rd row seat that can be easily installed or did they make a H2 with it already? It looks like a small seat due to the spare tire but if you get one with the tire mounted on the rear it looks like there is plenty of room for a full bench seat back there.... Thanks guys.
In addition to the other comments, I would add that the H2 had a significant redesign for the 2008-2009 models. In addition to the 6.2 liter engine, they have a 6 speed vs 4 speed transmission, a more modern interior with a full third row option (per your question above), improved navigation and other refinements. Personally, I have enjoyed both the '06H2 that I first bought and now my '07. The '08-'09's are much more rare due to the declining sales at that time. As such, prices for these are higher then the similar mileage and condition '06's-'07's

The remote fold in mirrors were updated in mid '05. I don't know the full issue but earlier ones had some problems.

You will want to check for water leaking around the windshield which I have seen posted on this board but never encountered as well as have the wheel bearings checked as this is a fairly common problem that shows up in higher mileage units.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Buying an H2... What to look for..