PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Buying an H2 Today (in 3 hours)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 06:22 AM
Default Buying an H2 Today (in 3 hours)

I am looking at buying a 2003 H2 this morning, I have financing in place and I have driven the H2 and it runs great. Yesterday I climbed underneath it to check it out and did not find any rust, and found that it has coil springs rather than the air suspension. I checked the oil, the H2 needs an oil change as soon as I pick it up. the engine compartment was immaculate as well as the interior with the exception of a broken drivers side rear door panel. All features inside the H2 do work. I know the door panels are hard to find and I already have a plan to fix it at an upholstery shop. They will make two small panels and wrap them in leather, attach them to cover the broken panel and then reinstall the Bose speakers on both rear doors.

What else can I look at since I am not a mechanic? The dealer is going to give me a 90 warranty he engine, transmission and differentials on the H2 and I plan on having a safety inspection done on it at an independent garage that really scrutinize vehicles during the inspection process. If he finds anything I can get the dealer to correct them. The Carfax report is clean and does not have any warning signs. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:24 AM

90 day warranty (sorry for the typo)

Old 10-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Might have a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic if you are not comfortable with your inspection. Sounds like the truck is in decent shape from what you write.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:36 AM

Sounds like you should be OK. I would have someone check out the front steering components for wear. Look for broken rear exhaust manifold bolts. Make sure the air blows hot and cold from both driver and passenger side vents. Congrats on the new rig. I had an 03 and loved it.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:01 AM

Make sure the mirrors work in all directions and will fold in and out. And aren't all sloppy. Also Check the rear license plate tray and see if it is pulling out the gate.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:02 AM

All 4 (2 in front & 2 in rear) heat and ac vents all work as well. Calif Phil, I will have them check out the steering components when I bring it in to get looked at, that would normally be checked here in VA as apart of the safety inspection. I will have him thoroughly check it out. I will also ask them to look at the exhaust manifold bolts too. I am really excited to go pick it up this morning.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:19 AM

I will also ask them to look at the exhaust manifold bolts too.
Yeah, make sure to look at those...GM used very weak bolts on early H2's, and it's a very common issue!!!! (and potentially a pain to fix!)
Good luck with your new H2 You're going to love it!

Old 10-25-2014, 11:09 AM

pull up carpet on front floors make sure the famous water leaks haven't rotted floor anywhere and if its wet at asll hammer them down on price

Old 10-25-2014, 06:11 PM

Picked it up late morning, went to my grandson's baseball game then in for an oil change. After the oil change I had to by a new trailer hitch insert because the one from my Dodge Ram Daytona 4x4 was no good, then an adapter so I could plug in the trailer lights. Got it all set, the bass boat hooked up and loaded and ready to take a wounded soldier out bass fishing tomorrow.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:57 PM

congrats mine is a 2003 as well, love it, search this forum for the water leaks fixes its well covered, check your floors up front next time it rains, good to fix right away before you get wet, I think everyone with a h2 had to address this

Quick Reply: Buying an H2 Today (in 3 hours)