PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boulder OEM backup camera Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Default Boulder OEM backup camera Install

Ok, I looked everywhere for better instructions than what comes with this unit. There are none. So here is how I installed it with pics, on my 06 H2.

I started at the mirror, removed the old one and plug from the back. There is a small white bar that runs across the plug you will have to pry up slightly to insert the orange, blue and green wires. Just follow the instructions on what number to insert them in. You have to look close but there is a "1" marked on the plug and that is were the first one goes. Then you follow the directions and splice the red and black wires into the black and light green wires. I heat shrinked them and put the mirror back up.

You do not have to remove the sun visor, you can tuck the wire behind the headliner, then remove the grab handle on drivers side post. Just pull the plugs out and it comes out, no screws on it. Then the pillar will come out and run the wire down it and through the fuse panel access.

There is a plug in the firewall on the drivers side you can see it best from inside under the dash. The small harness with grommet goes here. There are two plugs on each side of the grommet but you only use one on each side. I am only guess the other maybe for backup sensors or something.

Then you attach the long harness to the pigtail from the grommet and it does have a protective cap on it you have to take off both ends. I ran the harness down the drivers side along side another harness that is there and attching with the fastners that are on it.

I came out behind the rear tire and attached it to a harness that runs behind the rear bumper. I did not use the metal bracket either but you can if you want. I think it is for models with air ride possibly.

I drilled a 1 3//8 hole in center above the rear hitch. The other two holes I took a drill bit and drilled them at a slight angle but stay on the flat part of the bumper. plugged the camera in and screwed the cover on. It works great and highly recommend them. Took about two hours not knowing what to do and figuring it out. So with this and some help you can get it done easily in an hour so with two people.

I have a rear mount tire and you can still see everything well and a very wide angle. I hope this helps someone out.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Thank you for the great writeup! I have this kit waiting to install but the grommet/ plugs at the firewall stumped me ( the plugs I couldn't find a home for) can't wait to install mine now!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Great write up!!! The camera is great to have!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 PM

I have the rear tire mount and am considering mounting the camera on it just below the licence plate. I have a step bar on the back of my truck that will block the camera if I mount it where it's designed to be mounted. I know I will have to add wire to the harness so I can swing the tire to the open position which I hope doesn't distort the image. Anyways What do you think the view will look like if I mount it onthe spare tire mount under the licence plate instead of the stock location?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 PM

Yes you would have to add wire to it, to run it to the tire carrier but I think you could make it work, I was actually worried I would not be able to see from my tire carrier but it only catches the very bottom of it on the screen, You could move it to the left or right of the center of the bumper. It has a wide view and do not think it would effect the view much. Just hook it up and look at it befor you drill or mount it. I did this to make sure. They are very nice addition to the H2. It is as factiryt as it gets and you keep your eyes up on the mirror instead of looking down at an after market. That is what I liked about it. The compass on the new mirrror will calibrate itself after you drive around for a while. It says you can drive in circles or something but mine calibrated within a couple hours just driving.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 PM

Just wanted to thank you for posting the detailed directions. I installed my backup camera today. I mounted the camera under the plate on my outside spare tire. I had to make the camera wires longer which made me nervous & had to grind away a lot of the clear plastic on camera housing...also a small cut on the backside of plastic of the plate holder. I am pleased to say it works great! I still gotta get the plastic wire cover on that attaches to the rear view mirror...it was bustin my ***** & it was hot & muggy tonight so I will do it another day.. Thanks again for posting this!