PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boulder Accessories DVD system

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Default Boulder Accessories DVD system

Well as my first modification I bought the headrest DVD system from Boulder Accessories, the headrests look nice and as I began to read the installation instructions I am realizing these instructions absolutely suck beyond words.

Vague written instructions, poor washed out copies that you can barely make out illustrations on...... why am I thinking this is going to be a gigantic headache?

Ahh well the disclaimer says they have to be installed by a professional service technician........ hope he has better eyes than I do.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Also my first mod. Put it in last week Monday after work. Took a little over 2 hours and most of that was running the video cables through the back of the seats. Everything is plug and play. I can walk you through it if you'd like.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by H2FAR
Also my first mod. Put it in last week Monday after work. Took a little over 2 hours and most of that was running the video cables through the back of the seats. Everything is plug and play. I can walk you through it if you'd like.
Yes please, I would like to try it myself but those directions are just horrible.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 AM

Did this myself as well...a couple weeks ago. As with any project....hindsight proves it is VERY simple (like H2FAR said...most time was spent routing the cables down the seatbacks...without taking anything apart). Plug it all in and it works...that simple. Good luck!!! Not really the "best" thing I've ever done to a vehicle...but it is pretty cool.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 PM

Here's where SCVipermad and I discussed the same topic the other day when I was in your shoes. Only thing I'd add is that the video cable that runs through the seatback is the exact size of the hole so pulling an additional wire with it isnt possible. I fished the small pull wire through after the connector from the video cable was already pushed into the hole so you're only dealing with the cable diameter and not the connector..that will save you some time if it makes sense.

Also you'll need a paperclip to push in the little hole where the factory headrest release is at the base of each post.

Feel free to ask if there are any questions.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=19712

Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 PM

I had an old radio in the closet....I cut the very fine FM antenna lead off of it and used that to pull the video cables down. I used a coat hangar from the top, pulled the FM lead up from the bottom, then used the FM lead to pull the video cable down. The FM lead was **just** fine enough to fit along with the connector.

Other than that, its all good! It was one of those DIY times when I plugged everything in and it all worked...everything! Headsets, DVD, FM transmitter, headphones....not that I am mechanically challenged, I'm actually pretty handy. I just have Murphy's luck!! LOL!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM

Okay 9:30 PM, kids are in bed..... time to start the install. Thanks for the info!

Old 07-01-2010, 01:34 AM

Okay I got started around 10 PM and finished at 1 AM.

The part some of you thought was the hardest seemed to be feeding the headrest cables through the seat, that part took me about 60 seconds on each seat and went so smoothly I was sure I screwed something up.

What took me the longest was taking the damn center console completely apart. This was the first time for me so not being sure what was snap in clips and wondering if there were more hidden torx head screws really slowed me down.

In any case the system is in and works flawlessly. Thanks to you guys who gave me advice I appreciate it!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 AM

"I love it when a plan comes together"!!

Not sure why you took the center console completely apart....did you really have to, or did you realize (after the fact) that you didn't really need to? Just curious...for me, the assembled unit with the DVD player slid right into the spot where I removed the other inner campartment (four screws). Then, all the cabels and wires came in from underneath.

Just goes to show....just because one thing made me sweat for 45 minutes, doesn't mean it won't take you (or someone else) 45 seconds!! LOL!!

Congratulations!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by SCVipermad
"I love it when a plan comes together"!!

Not sure why you took the center console completely apart....did you really have to, or did you realize (after the fact) that you didn't really need to? Just curious...for me, the assembled unit with the DVD player slid right into the spot where I removed the other inner campartment (four screws). Then, all the cabels and wires came in from underneath.

Just goes to show....just because one thing made me sweat for 45 minutes, doesn't mean it won't take you (or someone else) 45 seconds!! LOL!!

Congratulations!
I took the entire top off so I could see to route wires from the fuse block and make it as neat as possible.

Quick Reply: Boulder Accessories DVD system