PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenon HID converstion ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Default Bi-Xenon HID converstion ???

Anyone make an HID conversion kit that has both lo/high beams and DOES NOT require a relay harness to the battery?

Basically a plug n play kit that has the factory bulb harness plugged into the ballast and the ballast plugged into the HID bulbs.

I've heard good things about the Retro Solutions kits. Looking at the Bi-Xenon 55w in 6000k.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 PM

I have a 6000K 55W Bi-Xenon kit on my H2, and it is great. I got mine from HIDGeeks.com and you can get a lifetime warranty through them. I am thinking about upgrading to the 100W 6000K Bi-Xenon they have, it looks like it would put out even a better light. One wire to the positive side of battery, one to the nagative, it is so simple and easy to install. I highly recommend them and the HID kit. I use HIDs in all my vehicles and motorcycle. They are SO much better driving at night!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM

I've installed many many HID kits in various vehicles. You WANT the relay kit no question about it. People who say no you don't need it I don't agree with. Sure the kits will work fine brand new but years down the road (or even sooner) is when you'll have problems with it. The relay kit allows the HID ballasts to pull power directly from the vehicles electrical system rather than through the small wires that directly feed the headlights. Typically the issue isn't with running the HID's its when the ballast tries to fire when you first turn them on. People will complain of a ballast simply not firing or the HID strobing-which is telling you its not receiving adequate voltage.

I highly recommend them to everyone. It's only a few more wires for 100% reliability and peace of mind. Especially cheaper kits will run flawlessly with relay kits.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:27 AM

Exactly right about the relay...I should have mentioned that. It makes all the difference in the system operation and longevity. I always install a relay, or order a kit with the relay included.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by EastTnMike
Exactly right about the relay...I should have mentioned that. It makes all the difference in the system operation and longevity. I always install a relay, or order a kit with the relay included.
your post above talks about upgrading to the 100 watt kit. The highest I have gone in my last vehicle was a 55 watt kit up from a 35 watt kit. They are quite a bit brighter in my opinion. However when it comes to the color rating (Kelvin) there are differences. For example a 55 watt 10000K kit will look more like a 35 watt 8000K kit due to the higher wattage washing out some of the bluish color of the capsule.

As for 100 watt kits I have never installed or even seen one for that matter. I think going that high on the wattage you most definitely risk melting your headlight housings. I've seen many headlight housings even melt with 55 watt kits. HID capsules get insanely hot while they're on-just keep it in mind.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by rob07002
Anyone make an HID conversion kit that has both lo/high beams and DOES NOT require a relay harness to the battery?
Last thing you want to be cheap on is an electrical accessory and providing the appropriately sized power cable/source to it. Good way to burn your rig to the ground and/or completely melt your stock wire harness.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:34 AM

I just installed this with the relay kit:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

A bit of a pain and now high beam is low and low is high. Don't know why

Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I went with the Retro Solutions 55W Bi-Xenon digital kit, slim ballasts with 6000k color. Comes with the relay harness. Would have been nice to have instructions though. All I got was a wiring schematic emailed to me. Comes in a nice aluminum suitcae though, I guess that will make a good humidor.

So no instructions on where to mount the ballasts, ground the harness or mount the relay.

Where do you folks mount them? Pictures would be great!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM

So no instructions on where to mount the ballasts, ground the harness or mount the relay.

Where do you folks mount them? Pictures would be great!

dont have any pics but i put my ballasts on engine side of rad cradle just beside the access opening for each headlight. grounding the harness should always (my opinion) be back at the battery and i mounted relays between battery and firwall

Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 PM

if i'm still in town tomorrow i will try and get some pics

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID converstion ???