PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Best lift kit for a 2008 H2

Old 10-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Default Best lift kit for a 2008 H2

I'm looking at getting a 6" lift kit for my 2008 H2. I'm looking at Bulletproof, Fabtech, and Rancho but I'm looking for the best out there. I plan on doing a lot of city driving and off road stuff but reliability is a priority and driveability is right up there as well. I'm looking for a well built kit that has all the bells and whistles. My budget is around $13K for the lift kit (installed) tires and rims. And if anyone knows a good shop in the SLC area that would be good info as well.

First off what are the differences between these kits?

What other things will I need to get and what is the best out there, ie control arms, shocks, shock loops, tie rods, ect.

What tire/ rim combos would work without rubbing? Pics would be nice

How high would it be with the lift kit and say 38" tires? It needs to fit in my garage (7' 11") and I would like to put a rack on the roof and I can see that being an issue with a 6" lift and 38" tires so I may need to go with 37" if need be.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 PM

I researched the various kits ages ago and if memory serves correct, the only true bolt on kit was Bulletproof. The other kits required cutting the frame and front transfer case for the install. I had my mind made up on Bulletproof until I decided I didn't want to leave my precious girl outside all the time lol.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:53 AM

I too looked at the bulletproof kit too, but am probably holding off for now as i am convinced it will make my existing wheels/tyres look woeful. Is this something you think is easy to fit yourself ? I mean no cutting/welding involved, and looks like it's a direct fit. Anyone able to offer up any info, i couldn't find a manual online...

Old 10-21-2015, 02:50 AM

Best is subjective. Fabtech is a good choice, but it may not be the best for others because it requires some cutting so you can't go back to stock. If you are planning to sell your rig in the future, Bulletproof is the way to go.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:07 PM

why not something the FTS suspension lifts? they have shocks and the whole nine yards, mine rides great, even on my 44" boggers.

Suspension Lift Kits, Leveling Kits, Body Lifts, Shocks, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Hummer, Off-Road Trucks - 2003-2010 6.5" HUMMER H2 / SUT W/ REAR COILS Full Throttle Suspension

they also have a lift for bags if you have that. i have the 7", mine rub quite a bit but could easily fit a 40" or even a 42" id bet if it wasnt overly wide. my boggers stick out past the wheel well flare 6" or so now. it makes a 3 point turn into a 6 point...

steve

Old 10-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Default Change of thought

What are the biggest tires I can fit under the H2 without rubbing or changing out too much of the suspension. I would like to put 37" tires on with 20" rims but I have read so many things from some people who says it's fine and others say they get a lot of rubbing. So the question is should I stick with 35"s or go up to 37"s? The next question is if I go with 35"s or 37" on 20" rims what rims and tires sizes will work without rubbing on anything or wear things out too fast.

If i had to do something small to fit the 37"s on there I may do it... I'm just on a BUDGET because I blew the money that I was going to spend on the lift kit on a lower milage H2.

As a side note I will also be putting on Road Armor front and rear bumpers so that will be a little extra weight. Do you think I would need to beef up the suspension for that if I went with the 37"s??

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:58 PM

I'd think you could probably fit 37s on a stock h2. It seems like there were a few on here that had them on stockers with no trouble. Maybe a a little tb crank in the front but that might be it.

The main issue would be the offset on the rims, it wouldn't be able to be much different than a stock offset.

Imo though with 37s it would look much better with a 3-4" lift.

Steve

Old 10-31-2015, 09:04 PM
Default Logic

It was my initial thought to buy an H2 with high miles then do some extra stuff to it with the money I "saved" ... Then I found a nice H2 with low miles and blew all my cash...

I can see myself getting a 6" lift 3 years down the road but until the H2 is paid off. I just think 35" look small on an H2 and would like to put some 37" on there but I just don't want to do the entire front suspension for another 30-50K miles.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:22 PM

It's a tough deal, i would have done the same thing. I bought mine lifted already so it wasn't a big deal for me to do a few things. Money is always tight though it seems. Paid mine off a year and a half ago, I'm only 27 though too. Mine was my present to myself for finishing college. Don't have a lot of cash, bought it myself, not rich by any means or have thousands in the bank to spend on it. Havent done much to it in the Past couple years, fixing more on it now than driving it lately...

If you upgrade the front end while doing the lift, you will be good to go. Better tie rods, ball joints, and HD parts up front will help keep you from rebuilding it again. Cognito has/had a good aftermarket front end as well as fts with their lift kits I believe.

They are truly a blast lifted but with parts getting harder to find they can be tough to fix. As close as they are to the trucks and burbs, they had a few important parts that were 100% hummer only. The resistor for the blower fan was one of them. Can't find them new any more.

Steve

Old 11-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Default Spare parts

With them no longer making H2's are there any parts I should hoard?

If I was to put the lift kit on the H2 do you think I should upgrade the suspension right away or is that something that could wait for 30K miles?

What are the best off road suspension parts I should get and a ballpark of the cost?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best lift kit for a 2008 H2