PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Belts won't stop Squealling - going CRAZY

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Angry Belts won't stop Squealling - going CRAZY

It is embarrassing to drive a truck that squeals like a greased pick in heat at the county fair.

2005 H2
I am not a mechanic. The mechanic says that he has tried everything.

After each of the below fixes, the belts would stop squeal for a week and then return.

List in order of repairs:
New belts
New belts 1 size smaller
Replace tensioner
Belts check again
Replaced water pump - broke
Belts checked again
Replaced altenator - would only fail at higher rpm
Belt dressing
Cleaned belts/pulleys and removing dressings - did not fix the squeal

After the alternator fix the belts would only squeal when accelerating from high speed, now the squealing occurs with touching the gas pedal.

Note: about to have a leaking brake reservoir replaced, other than that no other leaks or known problems.

The mechanic hand cranks to check bearings, says they are okay.
How important is it to use laser to check alignment, I have a feeling that he does not.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Id take off the AC belt to isolate it from the main belt.

Maybe its time to go to a different repair shop... They've made a good amount of money blindly replacing components so far.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM

I believe prestone makes a belt squeel spray, I found it at AutoZone. There is a generic spray also

Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Gatorback belts should do the trick......

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Mine have squeeked before, every time they do I check the pulleys and tensioner. every time it has been a bad tensioner or pulley seizing up and I've fixed it. Makes me suspect the shop that is doing your work.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM

Up date on squealing. It is from the main belt. Th brake reservoir is now fixed. The mechanic stated that this time he had a dressing that another mechanic said will stop any belt squeals. I emphasized to him that he needed to check alignment of the pulleys and belts.

It has been 3 weeks with no squealing; however, aren't dressings used to temporarily stop the squeal until the actual problems are fixed?

If the squeal returns, the only thing left to change out is the power steering unit (everything else related to the main belt has been replaced).

I'll give another update if the squeal returns.

Thank you for the input guys and gals.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Default squealing serpentine belt

2003 H2 Belt squeal

Hey guys and gals...I had a heck of a time with a squealing belt. It didn't squeal when cold, but after it warmed up. I tried new belts, tensioners, and idler pulley with no luck. However, the belts were just over the counter replacements made by Dayco. How I solved the problem?

I bought a Gatorback belt by Goodyear. No squealing. Gatorbacks for H2's can be found on SummitRacing.com. They are about same price, maybe cheaper than the other belts. Worth the time to buy Gatorback. Good Luck!

Warren

Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Gatorbacks have been all I've used as well. Whenever it squeels its been a pulley or something.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Red face

Update: It was quiet for 1 month. Then we had our first morning due. The squealing started up again, but had more of a scratchy sound to it.

Since we knew it related to the main belt, there were only two things left to do.
1) Pull the power steering pulley $160
2) Pull the main pulley. $300+

I was all ready suspicious about the power steering pulley anyway so I had the mechanic pull the pulley. To see if that was the problem he put back on the old belts, instead of replacing them like all the other times.

Bingo no squealing. Let's see how long this last.