Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Has anyone replaced their heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Default Has anyone replaced their heater core?

I have a new to me 2004 h2. I have a bad heater core in my h2 because I have a strong smell of anti-freeze in the cabin and plus smoke comes out the vents. I haven’t seen too many how to articles on how to change the heater core. Has anyone done it? From what I have seen I don’t believe the whole dashboard needs to come out? I’ve looked at other articles regrding Chevy Tahoes and suburbans where the entire dash needs to come out or moved partly out-of-the-way. It seems like the heater core on the hummer is mostly on the passenger side and I’m hoping that I don’t have to pull the dash out. Does anyone have any pointers?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:10 AM

I have not seen anyone else mention a heater core replacement, I would imagine it is no fun. I am anxious to hear how it went after you get it finished.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:14 PM

I am in same situation.. the videos on youtube for the 2000-2008 GM pickups and SUV all show complete dash board disassembly and discharging the freon just free up to the HVAC "module" to service the heater core.

The H2 front end is the 2500 pick-up.. so I think this is going to be a PIA but not impossible.

Thank GM for making a "Truck" that needs to be serviced like a German luxury car.

Great book time for the pro-mechanic but a huge time waster for the pro and the DIY'er.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:19 PM

GM is not the only one, my '98 dodge ram I had to take apart the whole dash too... but at least the A/C did not have to disturbed.
still I got over 160K on that truck before the heater core failed and 110K of those miles were mine!

I got this H2 with 152K and I have put another 6K on it in 9 months ( I drive alot less these days for work!) 16 years and 158K on the original heater core not a bad service life... I just get the pleasure of fixing it to keep this beast going.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:47 AM

Its a full dash pull job.

As I mentioned in another post, make sure the leak is not coming from the plastic Y fitting at the heater core and firewall, or the plastic quick connects. They are all easily removed and if its leaking just right, could leak inside.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:37 AM

Thanks I will have to check that... the radiator went out a couple weeks ago (cracked tank), so no surprise the heater core was next.
I found some service receipts in the glovebox. The water pump and t-stat were replaced by previous owner in 2016. (2 less old hi mileage parts to fail)

If it is the heater core then I think it makes sense to just to service the entire module once it's removed from firewall (heater core, A/C evaporator, blend doors actuator motors) so it is fully restored
and I don't have to redo later on.

Last summer I replaced the control module because the A/C was only blowing on the driver's side only and heat on passenger side. that was an easy fix !

My plan was to restore this truck over the fall, spring, and summer. time when I don't use it much. it is in pretty good shape & just needs some TLC.