PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airaid filter , MPG drop ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Default Airaid filter , MPG drop ?

After checking the OEM intake filter prices I decided to go with the
Airaid 721-182 . Which will perform better and was washable .

However I noticed a drop in the MPG , could be coincidence but 2 days after installing the filter the MPG drop from the usual 10.5-11 to 9.5 ...

My biggest concern is the way the filter suck the air , not from the end ( as the OEM) but from around sides ..
In my opinion airaid had much better air flow tan OEM but the OEM gets air right from the vent . could this be an issue .. anyone had same/different experience after installing the Airaid filter ..

Check pics

Airaid filter , MPG drop ?-screenshots_2014-10-12-15-33-08.jpg

Airaid filter , MPG drop ?-screenshots_2014-10-12-15-34-21.jpg

Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 PM

haven't had same experience but maybe airflow being changed computer still learning adjusting? id give it a whole tank to see how it does maybe 2, I don't know how the computer reacts to changes immediately

Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by yoymon
haven't had same experience but maybe airflow being changed computer still learning adjusting? id give it a whole tank to see how it does maybe 2, I don't know how the computer reacts to changes immediately
I was searching for online info and everyone seems to be happy with Airaid , noone complains about Mpg . Could be a coincidence
Im going to reset the Avg Mpg and mix the drive btw hwy and city to see what I get . Unfortunately I trow the OEM filter a switch Would had be a good idea

Old 10-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
After checking the OEM intake filter prices I decided to go with the
Airaid 721-182 . Which will perform better and was washable .

However I noticed a drop in the MPG , could be coincidence but 2 days after installing the filter the MPG drop from the usual 10.5-11 to 9.5 ...

My biggest concern is the way the filter suck the air , not from the end ( as the OEM) but from around sides ..
In my opinion airaid had much better air flow tan OEM but the OEM gets air right from the vent . could this be an issue .. anyone had same/different experience after installing the Airaid filter ..

Check pics

Attachment 7791

Attachment 7792
Yup sounds about right (I noticed a drop in the MPG) order to make more HP you need more fuel & Air

I have mentioned it here many times ....

Old 10-13-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ak47dennis
Yup sounds about right (I noticed a drop in the MPG) order to make more HP you need more fuel & Air

I have mentioned it here many times ....
I didnt notice a big change in the HP , also yes more fuel and air may be needed for supplying more HP but in this case I dont think replacing the filter give more HP . At least not noticeably for a 1.5MPG drop
If the MPG drop is real then I assume the cause is the lack of sucking air directly from the vent ..

I will reset the mpg and test it for a couple fuel tanks if not positive results then replace the Airaid for the stuck filter

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-13-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Angry getting worse

GReset the mpg for the worse. Now the number drop to 8.5mpg wtf ..
only drove for a few miles but anyway I never saw such low numbers even driving in city after resetting.
Will allow the filter for a few days more before switch back to the OM .
so disappointed. I really like the airaid, also was planning to get a airdoc . Now I don't know if any change on the intake is worth it.
With a 2600 miles road trip coming every mile point counts
what most bother me is to not find any other complain. May be the only who notice the mpg drop . Hopefully it os only the filter

... update ..... 2 hours after write the post above . I took the truck for a drive (couldn't sleep counting mpg ). Less traffic but still city drive . After 10-15 miles the Mpg is showing 10-11. Hopefully after a few days will gets around 10.5 stable .
looks like a mix between reset the mpg and the comp had to relearn with the new filter that less air restrictions doesn't mean lower mpg
I will update in a few days

Oh yes my previous post was hysterical and frustrating Well I guess we all had bad days ...
Good night folks

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-13-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:23 AM

If your road trip involves coming to the midwest region you can expect a decrease in mpg as we have switched to winter blend gasoline in all cold weather states. I will usually see a 10% drop in mpg during our season as the ethanol is increased for cold weather start up.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM

Unfortunately the trip wont included Midwest . I had planned a trip to Wy before but way too far . Need 7 days only for drive .
this time going Miami- west Virginia - west NY - Niagara , On then NY city then miami

Not sure if the same problem will be found on the NE area

Old 10-15-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
Unfortunately the trip wont included Midwest . I had planned a trip to Wy before but way too far . Need 7 days only for drive .
this time going Miami- west Virginia - west NY - Niagara , On then NY city then miami

Not sure if the same problem will be found on the NE area
Coming north you will encounter winter blend. If you come thru Pa we can meet up, and I can follow you back out of the decaying Northeast

Old 10-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Yes Im going up thru PA .. Im stopping on the Carnegie Museum . Would likr to meet you but my way up schedule is very tight and due to the last stop in NY city the way back is route 95 .
Still not sure if we are coming back that way or PA , I would like to stop in NC too
I will post a few days before departing , if coming back thru PA for sure we can meet and you may follow me to the sunshine state .. Should I said Rainy state (rains everyday)

Quick Reply: Airaid filter , MPG drop ?