PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Adjustment for ride height

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Default Adjustment for ride height

I have an 2008 H2 that I need to lower the ride height by about a half inch. The reason for this is when I pull it in the garage, it just touches the weather seal, I replaced the seal once because of hitting it so if I can lower the height with an adjustment, that would take care of my problem. This H2 sits a little higher in the back than my last 2003 H2 that I had. The back seems to ride just a little higher than I think it should. Does anyone know how to lower it at home or do I have to take it to the dealer?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Not going to be easy to lower the suspension in my opinion. To do so in the rear would require either switching coil springs to lowering ones or getting out the ox-acetyline torch and heating them up till they compress some, which is terrible and I would never suggest you do. Its the cheap low rider trick, and just plain terrible.

Other more viable options include letting some air out of your tires, but not too much or you will wear your tires out too soon. Or switching to a smaller total diameter tire and wheel combination. Or removing the roof rails so it will fit which is probably the simplest option if it is the rails that hit. I had to do that with mine so it would fit in my garage.

Other option: get a bigger garage.

Ross

Old 03-03-2013, 04:33 PM

They sell spring clamps for lowering at any auto parts Store 9.99$for the rear..and you can turn the bolts for the torsion keys to lower the front

Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Sorry, forgot to say that I have air ride. Was hoping it would be an adjustment in ride height sensor. If I let air out of the tires than the low air pressure warning will stay on. I was thinking of removing the rails but I like the look of the rails compared to without.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM

You would have to remove the ride height sensor and figure out a way to make the bar itself a little shorter. Its gonna mess up alot of other issues with your ride height though. I would just remove my roof racks.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 PM

There is a control arm that links to the ride height sensor I think shortening it will make it go lower. You can mess with the sensor to make sure. If I remember correctly you can also adjust by like 1" using a tech tool to mess with the eeprom on the bcm but you will likely have to dig for that info and then find someone with the tool and know how to make it happen.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM

Are you on stock size tires?

My previous SUT with 325/50/22's barely cleared, my current 2008 SUV with 305/60/20's had plenty of room and now I am running 325/60/20's and she barely clears the garage opening's weather stripping ... all with roof racks installed and both H2's had air ride. The current 325/60/20's are the tallest of all three at 35.12".

Last edited by BrianSF-GA; 03-07-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM

I built my garage with 8 foot door in anticipation of the purchase of a hummer haha

Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 AM

I am running stock tires, just need a half inch to clear so I don't rip the weather seal. On the back end only. My 2008 H2 does not sit level, the back end is up a little higher than my 2003 model I had. Just trying to find out if I can do this myself or if I have to go to the dealer to have something changed in the computer.

I do have one garage with 10' doors and another garage with 12' doors, but they are detached and the one I use is on my house which only has 7' high.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by macktrucks4
I am running stock tires, just need a half inch to clear so I don't rip the weather seal. On the back end only. My 2008 H2 does not sit level, the back end is up a little higher than my 2003 model I had. Just trying to find out if I can do this myself or if I have to go to the dealer to have something changed in the computer.

I do have one garage with 10' doors and another garage with 12' doors, but they are detached and the one I use is on my house which only has 7' high.
I realize this is a stupid question, but are you sure the air ride is all the way down ... is it working ... is it not working and "stuck" in a higher position?

Quick Reply: Adjustment for ride height