PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

50k Service

Old 06-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Default 50k Service

I'm at 50k.

This is what I've done or plan on doing. Am I missing anything or is anything overkill?

Tranny service.. I'm assuming I should have the system flushed by a shop... correct?
External Tranny oil cooler
Transfer case drain/refill
Front/Rear Diff drain/refill
Power steering flush -might just suck the old out and dump in some new.. opinions?
Cooling system flush
Air filter
Shocks
Steering stabilizer
Have shop inspect front steering components

I had an alignment at 27k. Do I really need another? Can tire be assessed to determine?

I'm doing my regular things... oil/filter, MAF cleaning/Tbody cleaning, lube front end, rotate tires.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:30 PM

I don't think you have a front differential. with the independent front end the axles go right into the trans I think...I could be wrong but the front diff would be covered under a tranmission flush. I also don't have a steering stabalizer..my tie rods just go into a rack and pinion with nothing else attached to them. Is mine missing? I don't know as I'm not the original owner and mine has been modified.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN
I don't think you have a front differential. with the independent front end the axles go right into the trans I think...I could be wrong but the front diff would be covered under a tranmission flush. I also don't have a steering stabalizer..my tie rods just go into a rack and pinion with nothing else attached to them. Is mine missing? I don't know as I'm not the original owner and mine has been modified.

yep... There's a front diff...and a steering stabilizer. Theirs is also no rack/pinion. It's a gear box with idler and pitman arms.

Do you have an H2??

Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM

save yourself the $150 and change the fluids in your FRONT and rear diff yourself... BTW, thats $150 for EACH diff....

the whole process will take you 15 mins.

use a 3/8 socket on the rear diff for both plugs
drain all fluid, and put bottom plug back in.
put in new fluid (75/90 gear oil)
fill until fluid starts coming out from the plug.

do the same exact thing for the front diff.. it just requires a actual sock ( forogt the socket size even tho i just did both diffs earier today)

tranny service- you most likely wont need to do it at 50K, but maybe you do??? check the manual- you can do either a flush or you can do a pan drop and replace the filter.

i personally prefer replacing the filter, regardless of how well they say their flush system is.

coolant flush- not a bad idea to have done every other year or so, not just by milage.

T case- this is the same as the differentials- drop the lower plug and drain all fluid. put plug back in and fill till it is right at the top of the top plug. check the manual for what type of fluid to put in it.

there is no external tranny cooler- the tranny cooling lines go into the radiator... it is recommended to purchase a external cooler for the tranny and disconnect fromt eh radiator due to if those lines fail, you will need a tranny rebuild. $150ish vs $2k for a rebuild.

steering stabilizer - $120ish and very very easy to do yourself with simple hand tools

steering components- pitman, idler arm, tie rods - grease them and if you are runnign large tires ( 37 inch+) replace if worn out.
dont forget about hubs as well. jack the H2 up until tres are off the ground. grab the tire at the 12 o clock and 6 o clock and try to rock it in and out. if it moves more than 1/2 inch, look for replacements. same for frotn and back tires.

shocks are very simple to replace. If you can remove a tire, you can replace a shock. its just a nut at the top, and a bolt at the bottom.
it can be a pain to get it seated in, but easy to figure out when your doing it. shock prices can vary depending on tastes and comfort.

alignments- i have done 12 alignements within a 6 week period when i changed out all my ball joints, tie rods, and other steering items.
If you have a tires plus near you, or firestone, they offer a lifetime alignment for like $150ish.. If you do 2 alignments within the time you own the H2, it paid for itself. If they ever give you crap about always coming in, just tell them you were wheeling the weekend before, or you hit some major potholes. if you replace anything in the front end I.E. any steering component, tie rods, crank your torsion bars, get an alignment asap if you value your tires. each one of my tires is $600+..so either $75 alignement or $600+ for each tire. since my tires are worn in good, i cant replace just 1, i woudl have to replace all 4 since the H2 is a AWD.

so recap-

do all the above yourself. If you take it to a shop, you will pay MAJORLY. If you have that kind of cash, then by all means, knock yourself out.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor
yep... There's a front diff...and a steering stabilizer. Theirs is also no rack/pinion. It's a gear box with idler and pitman arms.

Do you have an H2??
Sure as ****. I had a customers h3 on the rack behind me while I was in the sales office. Opps.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by hellzarmy
save yourself the $150 and change the fluids in your FRONT and rear diff yourself... BTW, thats $150 for EACH diff....

the whole process will take you 15 mins.

use a 3/8 socket on the rear diff for both plugs
drain all fluid, and put bottom plug back in.
put in new fluid (75/90 gear oil)
fill until fluid starts coming out from the plug.

do the same exact thing for the front diff.. it just requires a actual sock ( forogt the socket size even tho i just did both diffs earier today)

tranny service- you most likely wont need to do it at 50K, but maybe you do??? check the manual- you can do either a flush or you can do a pan drop and replace the filter.

i personally prefer replacing the filter, regardless of how well they say their flush system is.

coolant flush- not a bad idea to have done every other year or so, not just by milage.

T case- this is the same as the differentials- drop the lower plug and drain all fluid. put plug back in and fill till it is right at the top of the top plug. check the manual for what type of fluid to put in it.

there is no external tranny cooler- the tranny cooling lines go into the radiator... it is recommended to purchase a external cooler for the tranny and disconnect fromt eh radiator due to if those lines fail, you will need a tranny rebuild. $150ish vs $2k for a rebuild.

steering stabilizer - $120ish and very very easy to do yourself with simple hand tools

steering components- pitman, idler arm, tie rods - grease them and if you are runnign large tires ( 37 inch+) replace if worn out.
dont forget about hubs as well. jack the H2 up until tres are off the ground. grab the tire at the 12 o clock and 6 o clock and try to rock it in and out. if it moves more than 1/2 inch, look for replacements. same for frotn and back tires.

shocks are very simple to replace. If you can remove a tire, you can replace a shock. its just a nut at the top, and a bolt at the bottom.
it can be a pain to get it seated in, but easy to figure out when your doing it. shock prices can vary depending on tastes and comfort.

alignments- i have done 12 alignements within a 6 week period when i changed out all my ball joints, tie rods, and other steering items.
If you have a tires plus near you, or firestone, they offer a lifetime alignment for like $150ish.. If you do 2 alignments within the time you own the H2, it paid for itself. If they ever give you crap about always coming in, just tell them you were wheeling the weekend before, or you hit some major potholes. if you replace anything in the front end I.E. any steering component, tie rods, crank your torsion bars, get an alignment asap if you value your tires. each one of my tires is $600+..so either $75 alignement or $600+ for each tire. since my tires are worn in good, i cant replace just 1, i woudl have to replace all 4 since the H2 is a AWD.

so recap-

do all the above yourself. If you take it to a shop, you will pay MAJORLY. If you have that kind of cash, then by all means, knock yourself out.
Thanks for all the info.. it was very helpful. I've got most of the things done. Think I'm going to have the local shop put the shocks on when they install my new wheels/tires. Trans flush is scheduled for Monday and at the same time I'm going to have them install the Corvette servo.

Last edited by pdxrealtor; 06-22-2012 at 05:38 PM.