PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

50 series flowmaster.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Default 50 series flowmaster.

I just had the 50 series put on my 07 H2, and I was highly dissapointed with the sound level. I wanted to do the 40 series which i had on a silverado several years and loved it, but the guy at a local muffler shop said flowmaster doesnt make a 40 series to fit the h2. So i settled for the 50 series and wish i hadnt. Just curious if this guy was wrong or not.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Also, has anyone ever put the series 10 flows on an H2?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM

The difference between the 40 and 50 is primarily offset. The exhaust does run thru its own little channel so could be an issue if your not replacing the entire exhaust system. Which brings up another point.
If the muffler is toast, may as well change it front to rear.

A custom bent exhaust should be able to accommodate pretty much anything your heart desires...within reason.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM

Run it for about 3 months then when it falls off because it rusted through replace it with something stainless from.....

Gibson
Corsa
Borla
Hooker
SLP

Flowmasters were "cool" about 15 years ago but for the past 10 or so years in the performance community they have been seen as junk due to the crappy sound you mentioned but more so terrible quality and lack luster performance.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:29 PM

What kind of problems would arise if I put a muffler with only a 3 inch in/out with the stock 3.5 inch exhaust?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 AM

If you reduce the diameter by a half inch your really asking for trouble. It will cause excessive back pressure.

Exhaust backpressure can cause a variety of problems a big drop in engine performance and fuel economy. Likely burn up the motor in short order too.

Anything that restricts exhaust flow will create excessive backpressure in the exhaust system.

You always want to go larger in diameter not smaller.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 PM

I ran into the same problem...but after a while it grew on me. Not too loud & minimal interior noise yet still loud enough so it sounds mean! I actually think it's getting louder as it breaks in?

Last edited by Caraddict; 06-23-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by SShockwave
Run it for about 3 months then when it falls off because it rusted through replace it with something stainless from.....

Gibson
Corsa
Borla
Hooker
SLP

Flowmasters were "cool" about 15 years ago but for the past 10 or so years in the performance community they have been seen as junk due to the crappy sound you mentioned but more so terrible quality and lack luster performance.
really? I think mustangs with flow masters sound great! Oh well opinions are like stereotypes..Nonsense! Just gotta do what YOU wanna do & not worry about what other people say or think.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 AM

does anyone have experience with magnaflow? I was thinking of putting that on my truck is there a better option?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Well I would ask are you planning to do just the muffler or an entire exhaust (I would strongly encourage you to do the latter)

To a certain degree you get what you pay for, meaning quality, warranty, and performance. After that its down to personal preference.

Consider what you have available: Assumption is a complete exhaust system

Magnaflow $900
Borla $1100
Corsa $900
Gibson $800
B&B $1000

So your looking at an average cost of $920 plus labor to install, after its done your going to need to have handy a superchips or whatever tuner, may as well add a CAI while your at it.

Oh almost forgot about the warranty aspect:

Magnaflow - Limited Warranty (read as, you might get lucky and get something covered but dont bet on it)

Borla - If it breaks, rusts out, within the a million miles they will cover it!

Corsa - Warranty? Oh that thing...naa wasnt our fault buy a new one

Gibson - Same as Magnaflow but easier to reach customer service

B&B - If you can break it, we can fix it!

So choose wisely, I put my money on Borla for my H2.

o/

Quick Reply: 50 series flowmaster.