PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Low with lock questoin

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Default 4 Low with lock questoin

I have a 2008 H2 that we have only had a couple of months. Love the truck! Last week we had a snow storm that dumped 16 inches overnight. I got up the next morning to play on our dirt road with the H2. I first put it in 4 Hi Lock and was happy with the ability to plow through the snow. I was turning around and had half the truck on the road and half on the side of the road. I was at an angle but nothing severe and with all 4 tires firmly planted.

I couldn't get it to make the turn. The wheels were slipping. Now I have owned 4 wheel drives for 25 years and understand that without lockers front or rear, 4 wheel drive is not really 4 wheel drive. So I thought this was a perfect opportunity to try out 4 Low and lock the rear differential.

After I turn the **** and pushed the lock button, the lights lit up and the stabilizer light on the dash came on indicating that the system was off. The truck still couldn't climb this small incline and it acted like it was under powered with the traction system still on. I did get it to go by taking a different approach and rocking, but I was very disappointed that it couldn't perform this easy task. Did I do anything wrong? Is there another button or something that I needed to push or turn on?

James

Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 PM

It sounds like you did everything right. I've only had mine for a month now and haven't had a chance to really check it out but it sounds good. The problem might have been that because of the snow, none of the wheels were able to get traction. These trucks are very heavy and need more traction on snow covered roads.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 AM

We don't get much snow in Vegas so I don't have any first hand knowledge. I do remember reading in the owners manual something about the lock automatically disengaging if you go over 15 (20?) mph. You might want to read that section for yourself.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 PM

I use my Hummer in snow all the time. We get a lot where I live. If you are in snow more than 10 inches or so.. just stop and put into low 4x4. With that setting you should be able to run through snow and icy roads without issue. Unless you get yourself in a ditch or major ice sheet off to the side of the road. Then no vehicle will work for you. A 4x4 is not a miracle machine... in that at some point you need something else (time to chain up or, snowcat, snowmobile, etc). If you use proper technique driving in snow and ice... you will be extremely pleased. My Hummer handles ice and snow better than any other vehicle I have used in those situations. Remember. Your vehicle is very heavy. Do not baby it going uphill. You do NOT want to slow down going uphill on an icy or snowy road..... and do not let anyone slow you down either. If you have a foolish driver in front of you slowing down while going up a snowy or icy hill.... try to get around them without slowing down. Also you need to STOP sometimes.... to let the inexperienced drivers in snow get WAY ahead of you. This will allow you to attack a hill as needed to avoid issue.

Now on the flip side. Go VERY slow after you crest a hill. I mean VERY slow. You do not want to lose control on a downhill with this heavy of a vehicle.

Anyway.... your Hummer is quite capable in snow and ice.

Stop to go into 4 wheel drive. And when you are ready to go OUT of 4 wheel drive.... try to pull over and stop... then put in 4x2 (normal drive mode), and back up 25 feet or more. This will ensure you disengage the vehicle from 4x4. You don't want to jump on a freeway running 75 mph with the 4X4 not completely disengaged. Do not trust the lil yellow light either. You want to make sure you have taken your vehicle out of 4 wheel drive. You can usually double check by making a sharp donut and tell if your front tires are biting or not.
I have had my Hummer appear to be out of 4 wheel drive (yellow light said 4x4 was off), when in fact it was NOT out of 4 wheel drive.

Hope the above helps. Again... I drive my Hummer in ice and snow at least half of the year, and you will not be dissapointed if you drive it right.

Last edited by cybordolphin; 04-08-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 PM

One more note. Your tires make a substantial difference also. The BF's actually are not very good in snow and ice. The Firestone Destination (NOT MUD TERRAINS!), in the AT or all terrain are actually a better rated tire for snow and ice. If you are running big knobby off road tires.... you will have a problem in snow and ice.

Yes you can get the Hummer stuck. And if you do.... its going to be a biotch. I have only done this once. It was completely MY fault. I got caught in a snow storm pulling a trailer UPHILL (a very steep hill). I ended up sliding backwards down the hill and had to jacknife just to save myself. I got stuck off the side of the road in THICK ice. Sure.... my tires spun even after removing my trailer. But I just chained up the front and pulled right out.

Last edited by cybordolphin; 04-08-2010 at 09:58 PM.