PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 H2 rough idle,rough start, stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Default 2008 H2 rough idle,rough start, stalling

just got my wife a 2008 H2 with 50k miles on it. we have only had the truck for about a week and the dealer has been pretty fishy. the second day she has the car we get an error code for stabilitrak and traction control. The dealer told us that was a pinched wire from when he had the fuel injectors cleaned out because he had them serviced before he sold us the vehicle. he took the car back and had this wire fixed. furthermore when we dropped it off for this fix one of his assistants asks without us saying anything if the vehicle has stalled on her.

a few days later on the way home as came to a light when the engine was still relatively cold, it stalled on her after she came to a complete stop. Earlier today when she was leaving the gym it started rough (turned over a lot) before firing up and then when she put it into reverse it stalled and then experienced another rough start but she was able to get home. Personally I have seen the vehicle start rough a few times but havent seen it stall. I have seen the rpms dip a little and noticed what seems to me to be a rough idle.

my thought is that this is as simple as a fuel pump and the clowns the dealer (wholesaler) has had working on it have just missed diagnosed the problems and have been screwing around. What do you all think? Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.
thanks

Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 PM

Scan it...even if the cel isn't on there still may be a pending code...

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM

Could be a bad mass air flow sensor or throttle positioning sensor. I would take the vehicle somewhere else. Sounds like they have no clue. Caddillac dealer will also service
H2. Call around and tell the service writer if they have a great trouble shooting guy.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:45 PM

since my first post we have been in and out of the cadillac dealer multiple times. luckily the customer service here at Sewell Cadillac is great and they have put us in a loaner car each time and have subsequently charged us nothing for the additional troubleshooting.

bad thing is they have failed to identify and fix the problem.

first visit they replaced the Evap valve? and cleaned the throttle body. car stalled on my wife and have several hard starts. still idled rough.

second visit, they cleaned all the fuel injectors. vehicle idles better but still have trouble starting it at times. in fact we picked it up, drove 10 miles to Lowes, shopped for 30 minutes came out and it cranked for about 5-6 seconds without starting and then on the second attempt it started right up. we took the car back.

this time they replaced the fuel pump. still getting rough starts.

tech cant duplicate the problem we are having with the hard starts. We are getting very frustrated and are not sure what to do next. we arent getting any error codes.

what do you guys think i should do next?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM

Ok this may sound really out in the weeds. So let me qualify what i'm saying.

I was out of town for an extended period (read as deployed in afghanistan) and my wife drove my truck as needed. She had a similar problem, very similar. Even took it to the dealer a couple times and got bilked for a few things with no realy solution. When she finally told me the problem I had her take it to my normal mechanic.

He scratched his head a bit, then identified that she was trying to run the truck on regular gas...that was a real problem as I had it mapped and tuned for 97 octane (Predator Diablo Tuner)

Fortunately it was below 1/4 tank and he filled it with 97 octane, tossed some 104 octane boost in it and within a few minutes it was back to normal and hasnt had a problem since.

By the way no error codes were generated as a result of this issue.

Seeing as you bought your truck used, is it possible that the dealer doesnt really have a clue what was done to the vehicle previously.

I know that if I sold mine today it would have to include a 50 page modification manual just some someone could keep it up.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM

update: they have now replaced the MAF sensor and I had a bad battery ,which I agree was a problem, it just wasnt the problem as the problem is still there.

I dont have any "tuners" on this truck shouldnt I be able to run 87 octane?

the problem is still there and now GM corporate service is getting involved. this is very frustrating...

Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 PM

Are you related to this post?

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-way-up-24349/

If not you tow might want to get together and compare notes.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 AM

where you able to figure out what was wrong? i just had my h2 towed to my house for this same reason.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

I don't run either but know several people that switched from the Air Raid to the AirDoc. Don't know of anyone that has been unhappy with their AirDoc.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Default Idling problem

Hello
I do not know if you eliminate the error, in my three cases, the failure of the CAMSHAFT Position Actuator Solenoid Valve and the magnet.
Once it was a mistake on fuel control module.

Greetings

Quick Reply: 2008 H2 rough idle,rough start, stalling