Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2005 H2 Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Default 2005 H2 Project

I've owned my H2 for about a week, love this rig. Haven't had this much fun driving since high school!

After going through the vehicle, I've got a list of things that need to be done. Here's what I'm doing so far:

Ordered a new aFe Pro Dry S air filter. Then, I'll either go with the Air Doc or AirAid intake to get rid of the spaghetti tubes (still don't understand why GM did this). I'm keeping the factory box as it's already positioned to pull in cold air.

Replaced burnt out 168 bulbs, 3 markers on top and two in the gear shift. Eventually, I'll replace them all with LEDs.

Added one bottle of Redline Fuel System Cleaner.

Bought several Meguiar's products for the paint and interior, cleaner wax, wax, leather and vinyl cleaner, etc. I bought their MT300 DA Polisher, should make this way easier. I'm using the 6" wheel and pads.

Interior detail. So far, I've pulled out the center console and scrubbed every piece. I've also pulled the trim pieces on the floor by each door. I did this when I used my Rug Doctor to clean the carpeting. The carpeting over all shows very little wear. However, the back has a dog odor and pet hair that's a pain. I'm going to buy some cleaner designed for animals like Nature's Miracle or Rocco & Roxie. This should work. If not, I'll probably just replace the carpet in the rear.

Rather than replacing plastic parts, I'm going to repaint them (I can't believe how much some of these parts are). I'm going to prep and paint them and see how it goes. Lots of products online but ColorBond and SEM products seem best.

Tune up. Not much is needed here. Just want to replace the plugs and wires and do a flush of the transmission, break, and 4x4 components. No mechanical issues with the vehicle at all.

Want to replace the nerf bars. Don't like the chrome, prefer black. I don't like the nerf bars, I just want steps. Still looking...

Want to replace the entire exhaust with a Magnaflow system, catalytic converter and cat back.

That's it for now. Lots to do, slow and steady wins the race.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 AM

Sounds like a great plan. Congrats on the new rig.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:27 PM

Gonna pull the rear carpet in the next few days. I'm using Rug Doctor pet shampoo. If the smell doesn't come out, I'm replacing it.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Sounds like a great plan. Congrats on the new rig.
Thanks!

Old 07-20-2016, 10:35 PM

Update.

So my big project lately has been cleaning the carpets and interior. The interior is good, but not as good as it could be. The previous owner had a dog and there was a faint dog odor in various areas, especially the back.

After having shampooed the car once already, I pulled out the rear carpet and went to task with my Rug Doctor again. I again used standard shampoo, cleaned better, but not totally effective. Next, I used the Rug Doctor's Pet Shampoo , that's done the trick. I've gone over it several times on the rear carpet and on the front as well. Odors 99% gone. Not OCD, just more sensitive to smells than most. I'll have the rear seats and carpet back together soon.

Also, I purchased the Weather Tech floor liners and put the fronts in today, they fit great. The mid and rear liners will go in soon.

Next I'm going to get several flushes done, radiator, transmission, and replace the brake and power steering fluids. I also found a thread about installing a cabin filter which I just found out I don't have. Will the bracket mentioned in those threads work with a 2005?

Still have the exterior to work on, cleaning the paint, then waxing.

Oh, I'm currently using the aFe filter. But after some research, I may go back to the stock filter. The stock filter is a Donaldson, a very high quality filter that will keep out the dust. I've got 30 days to see if I like the aFe, we'll see.

That's my update.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:00 PM

Interior cleaning is complete. Pain in the *** but worth it.

Next, I'm going to install the cabin air filter and start cleaning up the paint with my polisher.

Tried looking for u-steps, never found them. Going to go with black nerf bars.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 AM

Congrats. I am in the market for one but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Do you have picks of your project along the way?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:34 PM

Was going to but don't have that kinda time! LOL. My Hummer is pretty clean anyway so nothing is too noticeable. Carpets look the same but smell great.

I will do some pics of when I spray the plastic though, before and after.