PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 H2 Cluster Guage problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Default 2004 H2 Cluster Guage problems

I have a 2004 H2 which has some random guage issues. The Oil pressure doesn't work and neither does the Rev Counter. The Battery dial sometimes reads max as does the speedo. These can be quite intermittent. Before I start ripping the dash apart has anybody had similar problems? I hope that it is just a bad connection issue which would explain why they work sometimes. I am in Oman and I went to the main dealer who were a bit clueless. They offered to remove the cluster and send it away for repair at a cost of $700!!!. When I asked if this would fix it they said maybe. I thought they might have tried a couple of other things first. I have very little confidence in them and I am reluctant to let them attempt such a repair. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM

I dont know specifics but GM gauge clusters must have problems, I see ad's on craigslist for GM guage repairs all the time...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/1663414254.html

Old 03-30-2010, 09:42 PM

I would get it replaced. Its done!!

Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Cheers for the advice. I have had it done and managed to get it done for less than half what they origionally asked. Now back on/off the road/desert/wadi!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Default stepper motors

My rpm's and speedometer both go crazy and but I noticed that the trip odometer and the cruise control both worked fine. That lead me to believe it had something to do with just the gauge. Local dealer confirmed that the problem is because of stepper motors used to position the dial.

For the non-electrical folks, a stepper motor is like a dc motor except that it doesn't just go round and round when you give it electricity. Instead you make it rotate a few degrees or one step for each pulse of electricity you give it. You can step it clockwise or CCW.

I've not had my H2 in for the fix, but dealer says it is around $450 for a new gauge panel installed.

Based on what I've seen behavior wise and my experience (I used to build robotic equipment with stepper motors), the dealer's explanation would seem quite likely.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 AM

greg_dance - there is a guy on ebay who reconditions for around $60

Old 06-16-2010, 07:36 AM

Got it done with a discount in the end. Cheers for your comments.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM

I will post this here in the interest of future searches.

My newly acquired 04 H2 has an oddly behaving (misbehaving) voltmeter. Dealer where I bought it was going to take the truck for several days and get it "fixed", but would not elaborate.

I did what I normally do and did my own research. I found what many others have....that the stepper motors fail(usually at the most in-oportune times).

In my other thread, olfart posted a link to an Ebay auction for Digital Dash Solutions. I called them and found there are a couple options. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...Q5fAccessories

1) Send them your cluster and they will refurbish it with all new stepper motors for about $170. Not sure on turn-around time because I opted for #2. You CAN drive around without the cluster....but you will need something else to monitor your speed.

2) Pay an extra $70 and they will send you a direct replacement cluster, all refreshed and new stepper motors (there is an additional $200 core charge..but you get that back if/when you send back your broken unit). You have to fill out an odometer statement so they can set the odemeter. 5-7 day normal shipping...or you can expedite.

I called Monday AM, faxed in odometer statement, called to confirm and pay, selected expedited shipping...picked up the new cluster today (Wed) at lunch. I'm an impatient son of a gun...what can I say?

Now...I have read everything I could find about cluster removal...not too sure about specifics, but I think it should be quite easy. I'll know in about 2 hours, after I get off work.