PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Hummer H2 owner - Car Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Default 2003 Hummer H2 owner - Car Help

I've owned my Hummer H2 since the day Hummer started to make this model and I've loved everyday of it. However, some issues are starting to come up on the Hummer and some parts are just old.

As I know tons of people have experienced, my undercarriage of the truck is rusting. Not only am I scared about having to replace it, but it also looks disgusting. Does anyone suggest anything/anyway of getting rid of the rust and then getting a black look on it (spray paint?). I'm also getting some rust/fading on my spare tire rack that is on the back of the truck.

My mounted license plate holder is completely broken. In addition to the lighting unit (I think the wiring is still intact). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for this (the lighting unit)?

Also, one of my back roof lights is out. I can't seem to find a place to replace the bulb. When I search online all I get are replacements for all of them and they change the look.

Lastly, some of the paint on my tail light guard is starting to chip. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

I tried uploading pictures for all of this but the uploader is not working for some reason. I'll try and upload them to another website and post a link.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Old 07-19-2015, 11:38 AM

1. Undercarriage rust all determines how bad the rust actually is. Some people I have read like to go with a product called Por15.

POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating

2. I'm assuming you're talking about the license plate holder on the spare tire rack? I see them for sale all over backpage/craigslist and ebay pretty frequently. Here's one brand new:

New Original Genuine GM Factory Hummer H2 Spare Tire License Plate Tag Mount | eBay

3. Which roof light are you talking about, the corner light or smaller middle light? Either way both are a simple 194/168 wedge type bulb. You just need to remove the lens and replace the bulb. Should be a couple dollar fix.

4. For your tail light guards. Remove them and either have them re-powedercoated or spray paint them. Easy fix.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything else!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Default car help

I will 2nd that on por 15 mine is a Ca. no rust, but a friend brought his out from new York, lots of rust, and he just wire brushed it down underneath, what he could get to, and used the por 15 did a great job of getting rid of the rust, couldn't believe it turned out so nice, hope this helps !!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Default car help

Thank you for the recommendation on fixing the rust!

With the license plate holder, my plate is not mounted on the tire. It is mounted on the side of the Hummer. If you look at that link I posted below my post it shows a picture of it. Not only is the frame broken, but so is the lighting structure. I was wondering where I can get that structure replaced.

Also with the light, there is a picture in the link. It is 1 of the 3 lights that are on the top of the hummer above the spare tire.

And thank you for the tail guard tip!!

Originally Posted by LoJac963
1. Undercarriage rust all determines how bad the rust actually is. Some people I have read like to go with a product called Por15.

POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating

2. I'm assuming you're talking about the license plate holder on the spare tire rack? I see them for sale all over backpage/craigslist and ebay pretty frequently. Here's one brand new:

New Original Genuine GM Factory Hummer H2 Spare Tire License Plate Tag Mount | eBay

3. Which roof light are you talking about, the corner light or smaller middle light? Either way both are a simple 194/168 wedge type bulb. You just need to remove the lens and replace the bulb. Should be a couple dollar fix.

4. For your tail light guards. Remove them and either have them re-powedercoated or spray paint them. Easy fix.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything else!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Default rust

Thank you! I'll definitely try this out.

Originally Posted by coowboy701
I will 2nd that on por 15 mine is a Ca. no rust, but a friend brought his out from new York, lots of rust, and he just wire brushed it down underneath, what he could get to, and used the por 15 did a great job of getting rid of the rust, couldn't believe it turned out so nice, hope this helps !!

Old 07-20-2015, 09:14 AM

rust bullet over por15, have used both por15 sucks, rust bullet much much better, can get at summitracing web site

Last edited by yoymon; 07-20-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:02 PM

Any auto parts shop like Advanced will have a license plate light. Unbolt your towhook and the license plate bracket comes off. Just sand it and spray paint it, same with the tail light guards...they screw in from inside the hatch and the outside part on the back is stuck on with 3m tape.