PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2003 H2 battery discharging problems

Old 09-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Default 2003 H2 battery discharging problems

I have been having an ongoing problem with my battery discharging on my 2003 H2.

The first time I went out to start it and the battery was dead I chalked it up to a five year old battery so I bought a new battery. The next morning dead battery again. I took it to the local GM dealer (nearest Hummer dealer is 300 miles +) and they tested it for draws and found nothing. They found a somewhat corroded positive battery bolt and replaced that. The next morning guess what dead battery.

This H2 has no aftermarket electric accessories at all. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I should look for please share.[/align]

Old 09-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2003 H2 battery dsicharging problems

When you turn the key off does the little red battery light go out?

Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM

Yes it does go out.

I have been pulling fuses and checking for shorts. The TREC fuse (all wheel drive module) and TBC BATT fuse (truck body controller battery feed) are both drawing current with the truck off. They shouldn't be drawing current should they?

Old 09-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Take off the pos cable.
Put a volt meter between the cable end and the pos terminal on the bat.
Watch your voltage readings and start pulling fuses. One at a time.
When you see a big drop............there's your problem
You will always have a small draw from the computer.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:03 PM

actually, if you're going to put a meter between the batt and positive cable, you'll want to measure the current, not the voltage. when you remove the fuse that is operating whatever system is staying on, then the current should drop. the only way you should be able to read the voltage is if something is shorting to ground. then when you pull the fuse that short will go away and your voltage would drop. however, i don't think a voltmeter, set to measure voltage, will complete the circuit between the battery and whatever is still on, but when set to measure current it will complete the circuit.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:10 PM

I have been using a test light and found the following fuses are flowing some current when the key is off. I am going to try and find a amperage gauge to find the one with the big draw.

RADIO
TREC (all wheel drive module)
IPC DIC (inst panel / driver info center)
IBC BATT (truck body controller battery feed)
HVAC/ELAS (climate control/air suspension)
INFO (onstar)
RADIO AMP (radio amplifier)

Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

actually, if you're going to put a meter between the batt and positive cable, you'll want to measure the current, not the voltage. when you remove the fuse that is operating whatever system is staying on, then the current should drop. the only way you should be able to read the voltage is if something is shorting to ground. then when you pull the fuse that short will go away and your voltage would drop. however, i don't think a voltmeter, set to measure voltage, will complete the circuit between the battery and whatever is still on, but when set to measure current it will complete the circuit.
alright, alright...........jeeze

set your multimeter to 200 mA..........Typical current draw should be around 1mA

Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 AM

It's probably the ****TY OEM battery!! I had mine replaced TWICE under warranty!![:@]

Old 09-21-2007, 10:04 AM

The first time it happened I replaced the battery but it did not help. Last night I unplugged the TREC, INFO, and HVAC fuses and this morning the battery was fully charged so I think I have it narrowed down the those three. I am going to try putting one back inper night until the problem comes back.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

any updates?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 H2 battery discharging problems